Development Manifesto - Prophecy as a Core Game Mechanic

bring back talismans and perandus, not this boring and annoing prophecy :(
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

"
Alabamak wrote:
bring back talismans and perandus, not this boring and annoing prophecy :(


Dude... perandus and talisman were broken and frankly perandus was a boring grind that trivialised unique items. If you think the game is broken now, with perandus you might as well drop the unique item tier system altogether since unique items will be worthless like they were during that league.

I understand that people want build enabling items to be easier to come by but breaking the market to do so? No thanks.


Perandus was the most boring and broken league I have ever played. Just sayin.

Talisman was fun. They could make talismans very rare in the current game (around T2-3 unique rarity) and allow the drops to be any of T1-3 talismans instead of combining T1 then T2 etc. That keeps T4 talismans and unique talismans available while preventing market saturation.

As for Prophecy, it works because there is a rarity system involved and the prophecies are tradeable. It also allows the devs to make those worthless leveling uniques more valuable and interesting with fated prophecies. Why the f*** would you not want that??? Seriously I do not understand why people don't like this league... Is it because you're not being given GG items every 4-5 zones basically for free like in perandus? Get a grip.

Prophecies in the core game is exciting to me and I really look forward to the new prophecy chains and fated uniques they will no doubt add in the future. This is a fantastic feature.


Tl;dr
Perandus is boring and terrible. Talisman could maybe be worked into the game. Stop asking for broken shit that makes the power creep infinitely worse.
Content revamp, de-cluttering, improving visual clarity and preventing previous content invalidation.
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2836216
Last edited by Incarcerated on Aug 10, 2016, 5:53:36 AM
Thank you for adding prophecy to the main game!

What about the perandus and talisman leagues?... please add those to the main game also. Loved both of them.

I did not consider perandus league broken, I actually liked the fact that gear was more accessible to lower end players like me. This allowed me to try new builds, and kept me playing alot more. It also kept prices for gear in a normal player's price range, and cut the trade-tycoon's hold on the market. This league actually made real players play the game, instead of having trade-tycoons playing the trade market. Also, the thrill of what cadiro was going to offer when you encountered him was fun. (Also noticed more actual players kept playing after getting their desired challenges)

I don't see how you can even view talisman as broken... it was just fun. Over the time of the entire talisman league, how many players did actually get a talisman that is better than all of the rare amulets? ... like 4-5 players tops? I do not consider that broken. Being able to summon a mini boss once every while was fun! I actually miss this talisman symbol showing up on monsters.

Edit: Can't wait to see the new supporter packs!
Last edited by sarannah101 on Aug 10, 2016, 6:32:31 AM
Prophecy is most boring and time wasting league ever, and you put it on game core?
Most of my friends agree that prophecy was fail,GGG don't make same mistake twice.
Last edited by cislacoff on Aug 10, 2016, 7:23:08 AM
New content in core game mechanic... cool, but why Prophecy ? !!!!!! Except of Pale of Council and few prophecies ( avalaible only for tiny group of lucky devil) this league is simply boring, always the same prophecies, this lottery looks like a blackjack in cassino...you never win. And I don't wanna waste a time to find a specific group of monsters in ...Nothern Forest etc.
What about a Talisman, far better and more exciting ?
Last edited by Varan1971 on Aug 10, 2016, 11:46:00 AM
"
Incarcerated wrote:
"
Alabamak wrote:
bring back talismans and perandus, not this boring and annoing prophecy :(


Dude... perandus and talisman were broken and frankly perandus was a boring grind that trivialised unique items. If you think the game is broken now, with perandus you might as well drop the unique item tier system altogether since unique items will be worthless like they were during that league.

I understand that people want build enabling items to be easier to come by but breaking the market to do so? No thanks.

Perandus was the most boring and broken league I have ever played. Just sayin.

^ THIS!
Perandus was as boring as can be. Farm stupid ass coins without any risk and wait until you are lucky again to buy another uber unique for almost free.
And talismans? Really? Grinding one billion crap amulets again to get a shot on the top tier talismans just to get another crap item. Rinse and repeat.... soooo much fun. lol
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
sarannah101 wrote:
Thank you for adding prophecy to the main game!

What about the perandus and talisman leagues?... please add those to the main game also. Loved both of them.

I did not consider perandus league broken, I actually liked the fact that gear was more accessible to lower end players like me. This allowed me to try new builds, and kept me playing alot more. It also kept prices for gear in a normal player's price range, and cut the trade-tycoon's hold on the market. This league actually made real players play the game, instead of having trade-tycoons playing the trade market. Also, the thrill of what cadiro was going to offer when you encountered him was fun. (Also noticed more actual players kept playing after getting their desired challenges)

I don't see how you can even view talisman as broken... it was just fun. Over the time of the entire talisman league, how many players did actually get a talisman that is better than all of the rare amulets? ... like 4-5 players tops? I do not consider that broken. Being able to summon a mini boss once every while was fun! I actually miss this talisman symbol showing up on monsters.

Edit: Can't wait to see the new supporter packs!


Okay first of all, without market tycoons, there would be no market. That is how a market works. They profit in small amounts on things that other people want to sell fast but they do so in large quantities to maximise profit. That leads to more sales in the general market, making your item drops more valuable and easier to sell.
It is up to you whether you want to engage in that market or simply play the game and enjoy it but you can't blame those that work hard in the market for all the issues you have personally in the game.
If you want something, work for it.

But that aside, my main issue is this:
"
I actually liked the fact that gear was more accessible to lower end players like me.


This is terrible for the economy and for longevity. I'll use an analogy for this.
Let's say you are given 100 billion dollars/pound/whatever and you can buy pretty much anything in the world. You would find a lot of joy in buying things you weren't able to buy before because it is new and exciting. After a while you do not feel that joy because it is too easy. There is no build up. You don't have to work for it, it just happens. Small things like buying a new TV or PC aren't exciting as you can buy the newest top of the range model as soon as it comes out without worrying.

This is the effect of perandus. Yes it was great for some people for a short time but to have this permanently is irresponsible game design that leads to mass boredom in the playerbase. People need things they can aspire to and that seem completely out of reach because those are the things you hope for when you hear that unique drop sound. Why get excited over uniques when they are basically worthless?


Talisman on the other hand, yes it was a great league but the amulet prefixes were VERY broken. It enabled a lot of interesting builds but at the same time it introduced massive power creep in existing builds to the point where there was no challenge to be had in the game. While that isn't something that should be easily attainable (and it wasn't), it should not be as easy as it was during that league. As for how many people found broken talismans... there were many people with broken overpowered talismans. The majority of owners did not flaunt them publicly but at the time i checked those at the top of the league that didn't have character privacy enabled. Of those, most had incredibly powerful talismans.

I'm not saying talismans like that are bad, nor am I saying the league was bad. It needs to be reworked in a way that prevents those kinds of talismans from being such a commodity.
Content revamp, de-cluttering, improving visual clarity and preventing previous content invalidation.
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2836216
Bring Talisman back.

I really dislike new leagues. I have played since 2012. I really do not want to re-level masters over and over again, get the same items I already have, or search agian and agian on poe.trade for shitty items I have to go outroll myself. I didnt buy 34 stash pages so I can put shitty ass prophecy uniques, just to get them fated, to clear space on my wheel, to run another set of BS chains, to maybe get trash to treasure and cash in. The only thing worthwhile in the league ->Economy abuse.

Tired of being rich and bored. How about poor and having fun playing again. I used 4k silver coins and only have gotten 10 or so warbands? 20 invaders? The chances of getting a prophecy that is not 100% garbage is VERY VERY slim. Everyone is running them to hit trash to treasure and make a pair of skyforth to sell for 30exa before no item in the game even cost 30 exa anymore. Sure I can go buy orb up on poe.tade but seriously... 1000s and only a few map related ones. And If trade was in game I wouldnt mind but 5 mins per trade at a min cuz the shit sux here???????????????????????????????????

GOOD JOB ####ing the older crew again.
"
Incarcerated wrote:
"
sarannah101 wrote:
Thank you for adding prophecy to the main game!

What about the perandus and talisman leagues?... please add those to the main game also. Loved both of them.

I did not consider perandus league broken, I actually liked the fact that gear was more accessible to lower end players like me. This allowed me to try new builds, and kept me playing alot more. It also kept prices for gear in a normal player's price range, and cut the trade-tycoon's hold on the market. This league actually made real players play the game, instead of having trade-tycoons playing the trade market. Also, the thrill of what cadiro was going to offer when you encountered him was fun. (Also noticed more actual players kept playing after getting their desired challenges)

I don't see how you can even view talisman as broken... it was just fun. Over the time of the entire talisman league, how many players did actually get a talisman that is better than all of the rare amulets? ... like 4-5 players tops? I do not consider that broken. Being able to summon a mini boss once every while was fun! I actually miss this talisman symbol showing up on monsters.

Edit: Can't wait to see the new supporter packs!


Okay first of all, without market tycoons, there would be no market. That is how a market works. They profit in small amounts on things that other people want to sell fast but they do so in large quantities to maximise profit. That leads to more sales in the general market, making your item drops more valuable and easier to sell.
It is up to you whether you want to engage in that market or simply play the game and enjoy it but you can't blame those that work hard in the market for all the issues you have personally in the game.
If you want something, work for it.

But that aside, my main issue is this:
"
I actually liked the fact that gear was more accessible to lower end players like me.


This is terrible for the economy and for longevity. I'll use an analogy for this.
Let's say you are given 100 billion dollars/pound/whatever and you can buy pretty much anything in the world. You would find a lot of joy in buying things you weren't able to buy before because it is new and exciting. After a while you do not feel that joy because it is too easy. There is no build up. You don't have to work for it, it just happens. Small things like buying a new TV or PC aren't exciting as you can buy the newest top of the range model as soon as it comes out without worrying.

This is the effect of perandus. Yes it was great for some people for a short time but to have this permanently is irresponsible game design that leads to mass boredom in the playerbase. People need things they can aspire to and that seem completely out of reach because those are the things you hope for when you hear that unique drop sound. Why get excited over uniques when they are basically worthless?


Talisman on the other hand, yes it was a great league but the amulet prefixes were VERY broken. It enabled a lot of interesting builds but at the same time it introduced massive power creep in existing builds to the point where there was no challenge to be had in the game. While that isn't something that should be easily attainable (and it wasn't), it should not be as easy as it was during that league. As for how many people found broken talismans... there were many people with broken overpowered talismans. The majority of owners did not flaunt them publicly but at the time i checked those at the top of the league that didn't have character privacy enabled. Of those, most had incredibly powerful talismans.

I'm not saying talismans like that are bad, nor am I saying the league was bad. It needs to be reworked in a way that prevents those kinds of talismans from being such a commodity.

Though I understand what you are saying... I still mostly disagree.

There was still a market during perandus league, the only difference is that items were quite a lot cheaper. They were actually accessible by people playing the game, instead of only the top market tycoons. This had more players who kept playing the league. Your analogy is incorrect because the extreme top tier items hardly lost any value. Meaning that even long term, it would not be as bad as you picture it to be.
I still felt really good when I found items that were worth multiple exalted's. Items lost value, but they didn't become entirely worthless or untradeable. Them losing value actually made playing the game alot more fun.

If what you're saying about talisman is true, that many players had incredibly overpowered talismans, then I agree with what you are saying. If however there are/were barely any people with incredible talismans(what I think), then there would be no harm in implementing it the way it was in the league. GGG is the only one who can say/see which one of us is correct though.

Let's just agree to disagree :)

PS: The other side of your argument is letting trade-tycoon's go on with the current rarity of items. Which means items will become more and more and more expensive, which is already happening(it's impossible to actually find enough wealth to buy a high end item in standard). This means most of the items which are being traded are completely out of the trading-wealth accessible to a normal player. This in my opinion is already harming the game(though to lesser extend in temporary leagues).
Last edited by sarannah101 on Aug 10, 2016, 8:25:14 AM
talisman had imho great mechanics, ( only too grindy for higher level ) but the talismans themselves were admittedly a little op.
prophecy is better suited to enhance core game, but works best during acts 1-3 , if you rush those then it is bad, as it is not that great when mapping.
the good thing about prophecy is they can pick the ones that work and keep adding new ones over time..and through them add other league content..
have finally gotten used to the lab... I dont hate it anymore.:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info