PC servers are restarting in:
.
They should be back up in approximately 15 minutes.

Skill Gem Reveal: Blade Flurry

"
Sure_K4y wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
Anyway, I do hope the third channeled skill at least somewhat resembles my idea for a channeled skill, as explained here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1750357 Or at least is in some other way unique enough that people don't go on accusing it of replacing other existing skills.


Chances are the third skill is called "blight" and it will be chaos based...


"Blight"? Where's this intel coming from? That sounds like a chanelled AoE chaos zone skill aka channeling a Desecrate/Contagion-like chaos damage area - one that actually has the raw damage to kill stuff on its own. If so, I do hope it has some more interesting mechanics attached to it cos the playstyle (and type of build - support gem interactions, etc.) of that sounds too much like, say, just continuously casting Firestorm or some other area skill i.e. been there, done that.
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies[/quote]
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 7, 2016, 6:23:19 PM
BV was op let's nerf it?
Naaaah..... let's make it ranged so you don't need to risk going near mobs!!
"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
"
Gruplock wrote:
pls consider changing the casting animation to a weapon swing or something because that just looks fucking lame


Everyone's complaining about this, but the reason, I suspect, it looks like that is cos it would be too much work to make a brand new 'casting' animation just for this skill. The skill has its own animations which, imo, look quite good. But the 'casting' animation/pose is a different matter because making a new one requires them to make a whole bunch of em' - at least one for every character and likely also for several weapon and armor types that we wear as well. GGG deliberately doesn't make too many casting animations for that reason, which is why you get weird situations like, for instance, skill mtx'es changing the rest of the skills' art but leaving the casting animation the same (look up the Gore Glacial Cascade mtx, for instance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggp48qD0o30). Basically making new casting animations is a lot of work for little payout.
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies[/quote]
"
Bananaplasm wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
Hmmm...contrary to all the folks here who seem to think this thing is all about just holding the mouse button down, because of the way the skill incentivizes releasing the button at stage six, I suspect it'll actually be fairly mobile.

This skill basically would use the same kind of build as ele Spectral Throw i.e. stack as much attack speed as possible. You then add the damage via auras and other sources (and possibly crit as well). This would allow you to reach stage six almost immediately. You then release the button to benefit from all those returning slashes. You can then power up again (if you're safe) or move (if in danger). A physical version would be superior, of course, but getting a really high phys dmg + very high attack speed weapon is crazy expensive i.e. you'll either use foils or daggers (if going crit) - nope, I don't see this saving claws. Point being that it's not like Incinerate where you build up damage and then have to hold it. Indeed, I suspect you'll actually be releasing the mouse button MORE OFTEN with this skill than we typically do while playing with other skills like Lacerate, Reave or even ranged skills like Frenzy, Split Arrow or spells like Fireball, Ice Spear, etc.

Scorching Ray wasn't a passive 'stand-around-channeling' skill either, mainly because it isn't as dependent on building up damage as this one and so you can stop and start your laser beam as required - sorta like playing Barrage (without Volley Fire, of course, since it's a narrow beam). Its range was also similar to the range a typical Incinerate/Flameblast player channels from (yes, I know Flameblast has no max range, but you can't target what you can't see i.e. offscreen) - and those two do have a stacking mechanic to incentivize standing still, albeit the Flameblast one works similar to this skill in that you want to build up to the release as quickly as possible. And given that Incinerate, Flameblast and Lightning Tendrils worked just fine as 'chanelled' skills (even if not tagged as 'chanelled' at the time) when they were released, I suspect these ones will be fine.


You are wrong on some things. Everything is basically right click and hold and no, this skill won't make us release the button more often. The only incentive are rippy one shot mechanics. Trash dies anyway, it is a ranged AoE attack. No one is going to build it like ele spectral throw, because that's garbage compared to other options. Everyone will just play dreamfeather + added chaos or dagger / abyssus / crit something. It's very budget friendly.
Of course scorching ray is dependend on building up damage. Read the description. It has a stackin fire res debuff. That's crucial for burn damage since fire pen doesn't apply.
Flameblast and these skills are completely different. Because FB doesn't do more damage after the maximum stage. There is no incentive to stand still at all, mostly because it's about the burn damage. You charge it up once, release, and troll around waiting for everything to die. Incinerate and BF continue to do (higher) damage at max stage.


Ah, I did forget that Dreamfeather had now taken over the ST build. Yes, that would work too. However, that doesn't change my fundamental point that with this skill you're incentivized to release the mouse button at max stacks. Flameblast is actually more comparable to this skill than you might think since, like Flameblast, this skill has an explosion at max stages. Whether it's worth it to release that explosion or maintain the sixth stage will depend on the actual numbers of the skill but it's worth noting that you can typically get much higher attack speed in PoE than cast speed and so there's a good chance that, unlike Flameblast, we'll be able to build up to max stage with this skill much faster than Flameblast builds can - and if you can do that quick enough then it really makes no more sense to worry about "holding" it cos you can get back up to stage six in no time anyway and so might as well make use of the bonus damage from releasing the button. It's actually only Incinerate that punishes you for moving/not holding it - and even that virtually disappears if you manage to stack high enough cast speed.

As for Scorching Ray, I didn't forget about its fire res debuff/"beam intensity" mechanic, however, my impression of it was that that debuff wouldn't grow particularly much and so in ordinary play it wouldn't be particularly impactful - at least not enough to force you into holding it continuously even in the face of danger like Incinerate players do. This is based mainly on the video of it that GGG showed off earlier where they basically didn't pause/focus it over anything (of course, they didn't show a boss fight there so I can't be sure). We shall see...
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies[/quote]
this will replace blade vortex maybe
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Sure_K4y wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
Anyway, I do hope the third channeled skill at least somewhat resembles my idea for a channeled skill, as explained here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1750357 Or at least is in some other way unique enough that people don't go on accusing it of replacing other existing skills.


Chances are the third skill is called "blight" and it will be chaos based...


"Blight"? Where's this intel coming from? That sounds like a chanelled AoE chaos zone skill aka channeling a Desecrate/Contagion-like chaos damage area - one that actually has the raw damage to kill stuff on its own. If so, I do hope it has some more interesting mechanics attached to it cos the playstyle (and type of build - support gem interactions, etc.) of that sounds too much like, say, just continuously casting Firestorm or some other area skill i.e. been there, done that.


It's most likely a chaos AOE channeling skill with a secondary effect. So far so simple. Source? Do you even watch podscasts?
[quote="ScrotieMcB"]It's just, like, people's opinions, man.

But I cannot respect motherf♪♫♫♪rs calling something a simulator, when it isn't one.[/quote]

Mors edited this post first.
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Gruplock wrote:
pls consider changing the casting animation to a weapon swing or something because that just looks fucking lame


Everyone's complaining about this, but the reason, I suspect, it looks like that is cos it would be too much work to make a brand new 'casting' animation just for this skill. The skill has its own animations which, imo, look quite good.


its own animation?

people are complaining about the fact that its fucking Lightning tendrils animation lol which doesnt make sence on a """""""""""""""""""melee"""""""""""""""" skill

just copy another melee skill's animation
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Another channeled ability? hmmm it looks cool love the shade/shadow copy of your character that appears at the targeted area but in the end it seems like the idea was kinda wasted on this skill gem since it only appears for so little time that you can barely notice it :P well... anyway.
"
Sure_K4y wrote:
It's most likely a chaos AOE channeling skill with a secondary effect. So far so simple. Source? Do you even watch podscasts?


No, I don't. Short vids are fine, but I've better things to do than watch a 90-min discussion. I get my info from the afore-mentioned shorter, focused PoE clips, the Daily News on here, the wiki and the (occasional) Reddit post.

Anyway, I hope that secondary effect turns out to be interesting.
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies[/quote]
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 7, 2016, 7:42:00 PM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
Gruplock wrote:
pls consider changing the casting animation to a weapon swing or something because that just looks fucking lame


Everyone's complaining about this, but the reason, I suspect, it looks like that is cos it would be too much work to make a brand new 'casting' animation just for this skill. The skill has its own animations which, imo, look quite good.


its own animation?

people are complaining about the fact that its fucking Lightning tendrils animation lol which doesnt make sence on a """""""""""""""""""melee"""""""""""""""" skill

just copy another melee skill's animation


I was referring to the effects of the 'skill', not your characters' casting of it i.e. the stuff that happens away from you - the 'shadow warriors', green explosion thingies, etc. Also, it would be pretty weird to give it another melee skills' animation since all of them involve actively slashing, which would look pretty weird for a "channeled" ability. People would still be complaining about lazy design if they did that. The only way they could satisfy people is by giving it its own special channeling animation which, as I explained, likely takes more effort than its worth.
[quote="Qarl"]Fixed a bug where occasionally Fairgraves, Neverdying never dies[/quote]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info