Changes to the Labyrinth

"
p0t wrote:
I still think making lab mandatory is one of the worst decisions GGG has made in regards to PoE. Its profitable enough that people will run it for the rewards, why the need to force it down everyone's throat? It's a nuisance for a lot of experienced players but crippling for newer players who cant even make their own builds viable for mapping but they're expected to factor lab/izaro into the picture. I've seen so many newer players ask for help that are struggling after making a few characters and so often they'll only have done normal lab or no lab on all 5 of the characters they made.

From the start I think the player should ascend as they complete the leveling process, getting points for beating the game bosses under the rules that apply from the start and during all the players game time except lab. Players never experience things like an instance that cant be rejoined like lab, or being forced through traps that deal damage based off a % of your HP pool like in lab.

Why not let the player ascend as they complete story? Currently all the rewards from questing other than skill points are so bad they're almost insulting. Kill some threat thats been bothering the town and they offer you a 0% quality gem that you can get from the vendor so the value is 1 transmute or 1 chance orb, or maybe a rare item that most of the time is worthless except for the alt shards it vendors into. It really feels bad questing through the story since there barely is any story and the rewards just aren't there, you cant blame people for rushing to maps since thats where the game starts being profitable.

What do you do if you cant even map without dieing all the time so you ask for help and people tell you that you need to complete the lab 4 times (1 being uber).

The lab in poe reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke - "That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"

The 102nd new account name added to the list from just this thread alone and 878 account names in total that have posted similarly in the forum about labyrinth. Over 320 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 870 posters in support
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will apparently eventually implement a different method for ascension. Yippee!
I'm intrigued to see how this will change the labyrinth.

Personally have found lab only frustrating with glass cannon builds and honestly they should not be used solo most of the time anyway.

Only problem I have seen in Lab recently were flawed builds or occasional disconnects with a pc over 5 years old.
Sometimes I imagine how a Lab was implemented...

[GGG HQ, late night]
DevA: Hey guys, we are working on Ascendancy classes. They will give many new abilities for players
DevB: But it will result in power creep!
DevA: Yes, but increasing build diversity is worth it.
DevB: Ok you got a point, we adjust someone shot values to balance it.
[later]
DevC: Hey guys, what about this arcade minigame I designed when I had been drunk?
DevB: C'mon, this is aRPG, nobody wants to play Mario here...
DevC: But I already dumped money in this...
DevA: Hey, what about gating Ascendancy points behind this? That way everybody has to play it, and we announce this as a success...
DevB and DevC: Brilliant!
"
Nishrek wrote:
Sometimes I imagine how a Lab was implemented...

[GGG HQ, late night]
DevA: Hey guys, we are working on Ascendancy classes. They will give many new abilities for players
DevB: But it will result in power creep!
DevA: Yes, but increasing build diversity is worth it.
DevB: Ok you got a point, we adjust someone shot values to balance it.
[later]
DevC: Hey guys, what about this arcade minigame I designed when I had been drunk?
DevB: C'mon, this is aRPG, nobody wants to play Mario here...
DevC: But I already dumped money in this...
DevA: Hey, what about gating Ascendancy points behind this? That way everybody has to play it, and we announce this as a success...
DevB and DevC: Brilliant!

LOL. Yeah lab sucks. Im too old for mario/donkeykong games. And this mechanic on a online only game is absolutely bs. #makelablootonlytakeoutascendencyfromthere.
Last edited by IHellBoundI on May 30, 2017, 9:21:40 AM
"
Fruz wrote:

I agree that quest rewards are pointless now, but ascendancy points are something that need to be earned, not just granted for free, no to free power creep.

What does it mean, "they have to be earned"? Ascendancy points are needed for anyone to complete their build, otherwise it is just gimping yourself. It is like gating ALL skill points that we get from quests right now behind lab, and saying the same crap "these skill points have to be EARNED, too much power creep!" Of course you CAN play and map without ascending, just like you can play without extra skill points from quests, but you would be at a clear disadvantage, since the game is DESIGNED with the player having all their skill points and ascendancies available.

You know what is optional? Doing shaper, atziri and uber atziri, guardians and high level maps since ALL of their drops can be purchased from other players.
Are there alternatives to lab in terms of ascendancies? Can you buy the points from other players? No.

I have several characters, did uber with most, and have at least one with whom I can pretty much faceroll uber itzaro and the lab with whatever layout and get all keys. I still hate it, and don't farm it even though I could get a decent return from it. It is longer than any map, has mechanics that are there to slow you down on purpouse (traps), and yet provides only one try. Gets even more fun when you take connection issues into consideration. This is absurd.
Still waiting for character voicelines past act 4...
"
MECHanokl wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

I agree that quest rewards are pointless now, but ascendancy points are something that need to be earned, not just granted for free, no to free power creep.

What does it mean, "they have to be earned"? Ascendancy points are needed for anyone to complete their build, otherwise it is just gimping yourself. It is like gating ALL skill points that we get from quests right now behind lab, and saying the same crap "these skill points have to be EARNED, too much power creep!" Of course you CAN play and map without ascending, just like you can play without extra skill points from quests, but you would be at a clear disadvantage, since the game is DESIGNED with the player having all their skill points and ascendancies available.

You know what is optional? Doing shaper, atziri and uber atziri, guardians and high level maps since ALL of their drops can be purchased from other players.
Are there alternatives to lab in terms of ascendancies? Can you buy the points from other players? No.

I have several characters, did uber with most, and have at least one with whom I can pretty much faceroll uber itzaro and the lab with whatever layout and get all keys. I still hate it, and don't farm it even though I could get a decent return from it. It is longer than any map, has mechanics that are there to slow you down on purpouse (traps), and yet provides only one try. Gets even more fun when you take connection issues into consideration. This is absurd.

MECHanokl, thank you for voicing your opinion on the hated labyrinth. I've added you to the list of people that have voiced a similar opinion, 879 account names, 103 names added from this thread alone. As the list grows longer our voice regarding the hated labyrinth grows louder.
Over 320 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 870 posters in support

Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will apparently eventually implement a different method for ascension. Yippee!
"
Turtledove wrote:

MECHanokl, thank you for voicing your opinion on the hated labyrinth. I've added you to the list of people that have voiced a similar opinion, 879 account names, 103 names added from this thread alone. As the list grows longer our voice regarding the hated labyrinth grows louder.

Man you must hate lab even more that I do if you go through the trouble of actually noting this stuff down. What can I say, I salute you for your proactive approach.
Still waiting for character voicelines past act 4...
Lab is still complete and utter shit - a crossy-road blade car mechanic that has no place in an ARPG HC game or hiding character progression.

The only people I see defend it primarily are SC players. In SC who gives a shit if your frogger dies to a network hiccup blade-car.

Most people don't enjoy it, they just deal with and get it over with.
I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.

Trolls not welcome, but they'll read the title only and post a reply nonetheless.
"
MECHanokl wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:

Man you must hate lab even more that I do if you go through the trouble of actually noting this stuff down. What can I say, I salute you for your proactive approach.

We are a much larger insignificant, unimportant, unwanted minority than GGG wants to admit.
WELL I LOVE THE LABYRINTH, it gives a psuedo hard-core challenge to the softcore league and actually represents a CHALLENGE and gives a guaranteed non-randomised reward (ascendancy points) for beating that challenge. The best part of POE are those moments that make your heart pound and your hands shake! The first time I beat uber Izaro solo was extremely rewarding and satisfying, and still is with each new character.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info