Arctic Armour

To be honest, the change to a mana reservation didn't make that much of a difference... Given that, while in theory, it worked very differently, in PRACTICE... Everyone just ran Clarity SPECIFICALLY to fund AA, so it wound up being, INDIRECTLY, a mana reservation... Just a flat one, rather than percentile... So it strangely benefited those with large mana pools better, namely spellcasters.

So in spite of being chiefly DEX, a DEX-based attacker (such an an archer) would've found the old Arctic Armor entirely out of reach for them; it was a spellcaster gem, which made no sense for a green gem.

It still has a distinct feel to it, and a distinct choice, ESPECIALLY with the end of the "everyone runs Reduced Mana aura stacking" meta. Now everyone has an option to take it, at the cost of other options. (and especially so given the lower number of auras most builds take, it's always a hard sell to give up more offense in the name of defense)

As far as the stat changes... I do agree that perhaps the numbers are a LITTLE low, or at least, the fact that it works on physical damage AFTER armor makes it far weaker. Adding that quality bonus for movement speed would've given it too much utility; I'd rather see the duration bonus actually scale the chill duration, if possible... Or even a chance to freeze.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
ACGIFT wrote:
To be honest, the change to a mana reservation didn't make that much of a difference... Given that, while in theory, it worked very differently, in PRACTICE... Everyone just ran Clarity SPECIFICALLY to fund AA, so it wound up being, INDIRECTLY, a mana reservation... Just a flat one, rather than percentile... So it strangely benefited those with large mana pools better, namely spellcasters.

So in spite of being chiefly DEX, a DEX-based attacker (such an an archer) would've found the old Arctic Armor entirely out of reach for them; it was a spellcaster gem, which made no sense for a green gem.

It still has a distinct feel to it, and a distinct choice, ESPECIALLY with the end of the "everyone runs Reduced Mana aura stacking" meta. Now everyone has an option to take it, at the cost of other options. (and especially so given the lower number of auras most builds take, it's always a hard sell to give up more offense in the name of defense)

As far as the stat changes... I do agree that perhaps the numbers are a LITTLE low, or at least, the fact that it works on physical damage AFTER armor makes it far weaker. Adding that quality bonus for movement speed would've given it too much utility; I'd rather see the duration bonus actually scale the chill duration, if possible... Or even a chance to freeze.
Pretty good points.

In a way I feel the best fit for this skill would be to run a percentage of base mana per second as drain, with an increased percentage while moving (but the damage reduction still works while moving), instead of the reservation. This would actually benefit "pure Clarity" users most (for example, an archer) while actually making it quite difficult to run on a character with loads of mana at their disposal.
A shining light in a sea of stagnant bong water.

Last edited by Rachel_GGG on Sep 31, 2018 0:61:72 PM
I was always a fan of the percentage drain solution, or a slowing of mana regen specifically, so that flasks and leech aren't effected which are both dex leaning.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Dugal wrote:
Does anyone know if arctic armour counts as you doing the chill? I.e. will it proc the "enemies chilled by you take 40% increased burning damage" benefit on the dyadus unique infernal axe?
Would love a dev response if possible please Mark.
Being on chilled ground is not the same as being chilled by another entity. You need to directly apply chill to the enemy for that bonus to apply, not place chilled ground that affects it.

Is this still the case with the new direct chill effect of AA?
IGN: swampassking, yellingman, pisswailer, screamingasshole, crabass, funman, shittingtodeath, hirasawayui
Arctic Armour directly applying chill to enemies counts as you chilling them. The chilled ground is still not.
i had this sudden revelation when someone linked icetomb in chat...
AA chills for .5 seconds, plus 150%= 1.25 second chill...
doesn't seeem to work.
i guess cuz AA chill is a secondary effect not coming directly from ur char.
"
zephiroth3 wrote:
i had this sudden revelation when someone linked icetomb in chat...
AA chills for .5 seconds, plus 150%= 1.25 second chill...
doesn't seeem to work.
i guess cuz AA chill is a secondary effect not coming directly from ur char.

Clearly some uniques need to be looked at but I guess GGG are busy with the new expansion , which is understandable ofc nothing wrong with that .
R.I.P 4.B.
Last edited by tryhardgg on Feb 11, 2016, 9:56:18 AM
The bonus is simply too unreliable because most of the times you get hit while moving.

This skill is one of the very few things that a bow evasion build can get to help with survivability but most of the times it feels like wasted mana.
Last edited by Raudram on Feb 21, 2016, 5:06:09 PM
Now that AA works as an aura,
increased duration makes no sense, or am I missing something?
Imho the bonus for quality should be changed to something else, maybe increased effect? ...
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
The duration applies to the chill effect, which is worthless though.
^Thx for the explanation. Yeah that's not really good, I still think it should be changed.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info