Wolcen Hype Release!

"
Xystre wrote:
I'm amused by the people expecting "flawless launch" when they alpha test for free for a billion dollar company when TGGG releases a new league every 3 months and they don't say a word about how full of bugs, crashes,lag (due to overloaded servers), dc's happen..

seriously.. some of you are beyond redemption with being a true loyalist (word I'm kindly using here, not really meaning it but ToS friendly)


Do you have any idea what is going on with Wolcen? No one expected a "flawless launch," but have you seen this circus they have going?

They just now did a no ETA extension to server downtime that was already 14 hours long. They have had server issues since launch thursday.

They have the absolute worst bugs you can imagine in an Arpg. Character's disappearing, items and stash disappearing, progress being reset. I mean I dont know if they get worse than that. And thats not even taking into account all the crashes, the other bugs, the complete lack of any online functionality. They dont even have basic chat. I mean at this point, the only online functionality they have, is the fact you cant play your character because hes online.

"flawless launch" is an understatement. This is probably one of the worst launches I have ever seen. Its almost perfect in how terrible it is.
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
Xystre wrote:
I'm amused by the people expecting "flawless launch" when they alpha test for free for a billion dollar company when TGGG releases a new league every 3 months and they don't say a word about how full of bugs, crashes,lag (due to overloaded servers), dc's happen..

seriously.. some of you are beyond redemption with being a true loyalist (word I'm kindly using here, not really meaning it but ToS friendly)


Do you have any idea what is going on with Wolcen? No one expected a "flawless launch," but have you seen this circus they have going?

They just now did a no ETA extension to server downtime that was already 14 hours long. They have had server issues since launch thursday.

They have the absolute worst bugs you can imagine in an Arpg. Character's disappearing, items and stash disappearing, progress being reset. I mean I dont know if they get worse than that. And thats not even taking into account all the crashes, the other bugs, the complete lack of any online functionality. They dont even have basic chat. I mean at this point, the only online functionality they have, is the fact you cant play your character because hes online.

"flawless launch" is an understatement. This is probably one of the worst launches I have ever seen. Its almost perfect in how terrible it is.


- Characters diseapearing and stash wipe is something countless games suffered on release including at least two hack & slash that some of you guys might have played already.

- All the crashes? Completed whole story (online btw) and never encountered a single critical issue, not saying it has been smooth like that for everyone but still, doesn't seems to be that dramatic.

- Lack of any online functionality? You can trade and play in 4 players co-op, tested during bêta it was good enough, what did you expected? An AH, some testing dummies and hundreds of kids typing /dance in town?

- It doesn't justify that dev team gets threatened, insulted, bashed for 50 hours in a row.

Peoples can be upset, write reviews, ask for a refund, but this is not normal to turn this into harassment and all the worst existing things possible.
Dunno, when you go in a restaurant and food end to be terrible? You just go to talk with the owners as an adult, explain them the situation and eventually ask for a refund then move on and life keep going.

Why would it be different with a game?
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Feb 15, 2020, 11:48:56 AM
"
Heli0nix wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
Xystre wrote:
I'm amused by the people expecting "flawless launch" when they alpha test for free for a billion dollar company when TGGG releases a new league every 3 months and they don't say a word about how full of bugs, crashes,lag (due to overloaded servers), dc's happen..

seriously.. some of you are beyond redemption with being a true loyalist (word I'm kindly using here, not really meaning it but ToS friendly)


Do you have any idea what is going on with Wolcen? No one expected a "flawless launch," but have you seen this circus they have going?

They just now did a no ETA extension to server downtime that was already 14 hours long. They have had server issues since launch thursday.

They have the absolute worst bugs you can imagine in an Arpg. Character's disappearing, items and stash disappearing, progress being reset. I mean I dont know if they get worse than that. And thats not even taking into account all the crashes, the other bugs, the complete lack of any online functionality. They dont even have basic chat. I mean at this point, the only online functionality they have, is the fact you cant play your character because hes online.

"flawless launch" is an understatement. This is probably one of the worst launches I have ever seen. Its almost perfect in how terrible it is.


- Characters diseapearing and stash wipe is something countless games suffered on release including at least two hack & slash that some of you guys might have played already.

- All the crashes? Completed whole story (online btw) and never encountered a single critical issue, not saying it has been smooth like that for everyone but still, doesn't seems to be that dramatic.

- Lack of any online functionality? You can trade and play in 4 players co-op, tested during bêta it was good enough, what did you expected? An AH, some testing dummies and hundreds of kids typing /dance in town?

- It doesn't justify that dev team gets threatened, insulted, bashed for 50 hours in a row.

Peoples can be upset, write reviews, ask for a refund, but this is not normal to turn this into harassment and all the worst existing things possible.
Dunno, when you go in a restaurant and food end to be terrible? You just go to talk with the owners as an adult, explain them the situation and eventually ask for a refund then move on and life keep going.

Why would it be different with a game?


And you, my friend, are the reason why people are upset. I explain my self...

Game developers do what they want for years with their consumers, and dumb consumers (sorry there is no other softer word) defend them. Years of the same cause what you see now and you contribute to it. There are so many cases of developers laughing at people that there is no reason to mention them.

What happens with Wolcen?
Several bugs that were never solved during the Beta still exist in the now official version. That is inadmissible, they should never leave early access without eliminating the problems that persisted for months in the beta. But certain group of consumers like to defend people who do things wrong...

In case you didn't realize, what you just did is justify them. Years of people justifying the unjustifiable, added to the anonymity of the web and you have a tide of disgusted people.
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
Smashing foes with a mighty 2-hander feels fulfilling.
Getting through this pandemic will require leaders of countries to help ALL of their citizens. Even the ones who don't worship them. #DontBeASpreader #InScienceWeTrust Remember the term: #NegligentHomicide
"
aggromagnet wrote:
"
Heli0nix wrote:
"
Latze wrote:
is there anything in wolcen thats not stolen from d3 or poe ?


Stolen? Like what? You really think Diablo 3 and PoE never got their inspiration from various games, shows, books, board games and so on as well? :/
Inspiration is one thing, and a perfectly acceptable one. The Wolcen crew went, uhhh, a bit further with some things than simply inspiration. Not necessarily in bad ways, mind you. Except for maybe the appearance of that fugly passive tree.



Reskinned D3 in modern look but similarities like the original.

Generator and spender. The most obvious one.
Same dmg number popups.
Item info popup identical.
Champions blue colored.
Enemies flash/blink when they get hit.
Auto gold pickup.
Similar monster types. Some of them are 100% copies like the D3 bats from act 3 or the big 2h mace demons from act 1.
Skill modifiers aka runes.
Dual ressource willpower & rage. D3 demon hunter (hatred / discipline).
Generally slow movement speed like D3.
Talking "me big baddy- me smash you" bosses with multiple phases.
No consequences when dying (yet).
Endgame: Expeditions (Rifts) / Town manager (bounties). Yeah you can create a fresh character and jump right into the city simulator with lvl 1 skipping the campaign.


I think the dodge roll is new.
Online still not working until at least 12pm UTC tomorrow. It went offline 19 hours ago.

Damn thats some continuous down-time. 27 hours and it might still not be working.

Personally, I have no desire to play offline; I bought the game specifically because it had online, and my character is already up there.

Last edited by Destructodave on Feb 15, 2020, 2:53:28 PM
@Gandhar0

Sorry but except two elements from your list that eventually could be considered as stronger inspirations than usual ones all others made their way to various video games before diablo 3 was even half of a Game design document.

Read previous answers, if you want to start searching for similarities in video games and go 20 years back in time, you will realize that there isn't much things "new" and original even in diablo 3.

As for UI ones note that respecting users-habits is a common practice for professionals wich apply to most products in fact, if you want to verify that part with something else than video games just browse some random websites you will understand why quite fast.

Also super astonished, but dodge roll has nothing new in a video games might even be one of the oldest one, it was already existing in console games from late 90's and is still present in a lot of actual ones. Does it mean its a copy? No.

As Xavderion said above, unless assets are 100% copy/pasted this has nothing of stolen design/elements.

You can do this witchhunt with PoE aswell if you have fun doing so, you won't regret it.
Hf :)
"
gandhar0 wrote:



Reskinned D3 in modern look but similarities like the original.

Generator and spender. The most obvious one.
Same dmg number popups.
Item info popup identical.
Champions blue colored.
Enemies flash/blink when they get hit.
Auto gold pickup.
Similar monster types. Some of them are 100% copies like the D3 bats from act 3 or the big 2h mace demons from act 1.
Skill modifiers aka runes.
Dual ressource willpower & rage. D3 demon hunter (hatred / discipline).
Generally slow movement speed like D3.
Talking "me big baddy- me smash you" bosses with multiple phases.
No consequences when dying (yet).
Endgame: Expeditions (Rifts) / Town manager (bounties). Yeah you can create a fresh character and jump right into the city simulator with lvl 1 skipping the campaign.


I think the dodge roll is new.


d3 console version has dodge roll, lol

ontopic, i passed the game, it looks nice graphically, it has nice passive skill tree, many small things, mostly qol that need to be fixed, didnt have any gamebreaking bugs

but i was bored, whole playthrough i was bored out of my mind, nevermind the story and dialogue, but the items, none of them feel impactful, only impactful feel items give is if they increase dmg or not

If they work some more on unique items i believe this can work out well, by adding more "unique effects" to them so we can actually play around more, otherwise, despite having that many skills and big passive tree, game feels shallow

Maybe it is my deformation from years of poe, maybe its true, also dont hate me for this, but at times i felt like playing a korean isometric mmorpg, which is both a good and bad thing for wolcen (since i actually played such games for years in past)

I'd give them a year or 2 to polish it and add more content and items and it can be decent game to lose some time on it, but what i have now is insufficient to get invested for thousands of hours, maybe hundreds if i get heated about it, but unlikely
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Necromael wrote:
"
gandhar0 wrote:



Reskinned D3 in modern look but similarities like the original.

Generator and spender. The most obvious one.
Same dmg number popups.
Item info popup identical.
Champions blue colored.
Enemies flash/blink when they get hit.
Auto gold pickup.
Similar monster types. Some of them are 100% copies like the D3 bats from act 3 or the big 2h mace demons from act 1.
Skill modifiers aka runes.
Dual ressource willpower & rage. D3 demon hunter (hatred / discipline).
Generally slow movement speed like D3.
Talking "me big baddy- me smash you" bosses with multiple phases.
No consequences when dying (yet).
Endgame: Expeditions (Rifts) / Town manager (bounties). Yeah you can create a fresh character and jump right into the city simulator with lvl 1 skipping the campaign.


I think the dodge roll is new.


d3 console version has dodge roll, lol

ontopic, i passed the game, it looks nice graphically, it has nice passive skill tree, many small things, mostly qol that need to be fixed, didnt have any gamebreaking bugs

but i was bored, whole playthrough i was bored out of my mind, nevermind the story and dialogue, but the items, none of them feel impactful, only impactful feel items give is if they increase dmg or not

If they work some more on unique items i believe this can work out well, by adding more "unique effects" to them so we can actually play around more, otherwise, despite having that many skills and big passive tree, game feels shallow

Maybe it is my deformation from years of poe, maybe its true, also dont hate me for this, but at times i felt like playing a korean isometric mmorpg, which is both a good and bad thing for wolcen (since i actually played such games for years in past)

I'd give them a year or 2 to polish it and add more content and items and it can be decent game to lose some time on it, but what i have now is insufficient to get invested for thousands of hours, maybe hundreds if i get heated about it, but unlikely


I found the story too streamlined after all, but it is what it is too many quests or side activities wouldn't match too much with hack & slash players, PoE proved that by far.

Items feels bad in general and not so impactful, I suspect the resistance design to be responsible of this as they arn't really meaningful as in PoE for example, as for unique items I don't know wich one you found so far but some of them are however good build enablers with very niche mechanics.

The combats in general are what I would see improved as soon as possible, maybe I played PoE too much as well I don't know but it feels too clunky for my usual tastes.
Hf :)
Slowly I grew to HATE Wolcen...! SHIT GAEM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info