Random Initiating Windows Shutdown

For the past two weeks I've been getting random shutdowns while playing POE. Sometimes during intense mapping situations, other times while chilling and vendoring stuff.

Note: The PC doesn't just turn off. Instead I get the Windows is Shutting Down Screen. Sometimes i can cancel it but other times, well due to using an SSD it just happens too fast and I have to power on my PC manually.

Sys Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16gb 3000mHz ram
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
Corsair RM550x
-----------------------
I'm using both MSI afterburner and Ryzen Master to monitor temps.
CPU (no OC) barely reaches 40 degrees
GPU (no OC) gets to around 50-60, depending on how many league mechanics are going off at the same time on screen.

Overheating is not the issue here as I've even ran the PC without the side panel so i can manually check each component. The OSD temp readings are accurate. CPU is cool and the GPU heats up but no more than 60 degrees (C).

I'm not running any OC profiles, not even base clock boost on AMD. I haven't had similar issues with other games.
I ran a CPU and GPU stress test, even ran Haven continuously for almost one hour with max quality settings and couldn't get a temp reading of over 60.

My GPU is as old as a gtx 970 should be. Got it when it came out but I haven't pushed it to its limits ever.
The CPU, mobo, and PSU are barely 6 months old. Never used OC on the CPU, not even precision boost since i didn't need it in any game, including AC:OD, MW, Doom Eternal, and others.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Could it be a software issue? Some bad Windows update that's causing POE/Steam to trigger a shutdown? Is it possible that some of the components are faulty?

No shutdowns happen when I'm doing something else on my PC, only when playing POE.

BIOS, CPU, GPU, and Windows are all updated to the latest versions. Did this after the shutdowns started happening, still didn't fix the problem.
Last bumped on Oct 30, 2020, 7:40:14 AM
Definitely a PSU problem, check your cables and try rolling back to older drivers.

Also, are you running 1 monitor or 2?

I would also suggest downloaded HWMonitor to see how your power is behaving
Last edited by Nerdalus on Apr 22, 2020, 5:23:00 AM
"
LastMagus wrote:
For the past two weeks I've been getting random shutdowns while playing POE. Sometimes during intense mapping situations, other times while chilling and vendoring stuff.

Note: The PC doesn't just turn off. Instead I get the Windows is Shutting Down Screen. Sometimes i can cancel it but other times, well due to using an SSD it just happens too fast and I have to power on my PC manually.

Sys Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16gb 3000mHz ram
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
Corsair RM550x
-----------------------
GPU (no OC) gets to around 50-60, depending on how many league mechanics are going off at the same time on screen.

Overheating is not the issue here as I've even ran the PC without the side panel so i can manually check each component. The OSD temp readings are accurate. CPU is cool and the GPU heats up but no more than 60 degrees (C).

I'm not running any OC profiles, not even base clock boost on AMD. I haven't had similar issues with other games.
I ran a CPU and GPU stress test, even ran Haven continuously for almost one hour with max quality settings and couldn't get a temp reading of over 60.

My GPU is as old as a gtx 970 should be. Got it when it came out but I haven't pushed it to its limits ever.
The CPU, mobo, and PSU are barely 6 months old. Never used OC on the CPU, not even precision boost since i didn't need it in any game, including AC:OD, MW, Doom Eternal, and others.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Could it be a software issue? Some bad Windows update that's causing POE/Steam to trigger a shutdown? Is it possible that some of the components are faulty?

No shutdowns happen when I'm doing something else on my PC, only when playing POE.

BIOS, CPU, GPU, and Windows are all updated to the latest versions. Did this after the shutdowns started happening, still didn't fix the problem.

You need to check your windows logs and find out what is "forcing" windows to shut down.

Also make sure you are using correct power profile (high performens) and that nothing is set to "shut down / go to sleep" automaticly....
Last edited by HanSoloDK on Apr 22, 2020, 5:11:05 AM
I'm using HWiNFO64

I'm not getting over 1.4v on the CPU, not getting over 65max CPU temp, similar on GPU... and I can't stress this enough, it only happens in POE.

What's so different about this game that may suddenly be pushing one of my components to behave like this and trigger a windows shutdown?

It also doesn't help that during this pandemic situation i can't send my parts in for warranty. Even after the situation is resolved, I'd still have to send 4 components 4 different ways (cpu, gpu, mobo, and psu)
"
HanSoloDK wrote:
"
LastMagus wrote:

Sys Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 970
16gb 3000mHz ram
MSI x470 Gaming Pro
Corsair RM550x
-----------------------

You need to check your windows logs and find out what is "forcing" windows to shut down.

Also make sure you are using correct power profile (high performens) and that nothing is set to "shut down / go to sleep" automaticly....

Nothing in the windows logs is helpful. Not all the shutdowns are accompanied by events in the logs, and those that are give me codes that redirect me to similar unsolved issues, even dating back to 2014 and windows 7 on microsoft forums, reddit, and so on
so after a two week break from poe and using my PC consistently at least 20h per day, I haven't experienced this so far. Even changed my GPU and my PSU.

Now 3 hours into poe and got the auto windows shutdown again. I wasn't even doing anything remotely intensive other than some light delving.

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-BMETUJ0) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-BMETUJ0 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

Am I really the only one that experienced this? And what would be the reason for this happening only when i'm playing POE. It doesn't happen in other games so what makes POE different in terms of resource consumption or whatever?
"
LastMagus wrote:
so after a two week break from poe and using my PC consistently at least 20h per day, I haven't experienced this so far. Even changed my GPU and my PSU.

Now 3 hours into poe and got the auto windows shutdown again. I wasn't even doing anything remotely intensive other than some light delving.

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (DESKTOP-BMETUJ0) has initiated the power off of computer DESKTOP-BMETUJ0 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off
Comment:

Am I really the only one that experienced this? And what would be the reason for this happening only when i'm playing POE. It doesn't happen in other games so what makes POE different in terms of resource consumption or whatever?

sounds like it's time to do a clean installation of windows'10 and this time be very carefull about what software you install on it (no MSI afterburner and things like that). Also make sure the correct vendor drives are installed.
I gotta bring attention to this again, two leagues later and my POE still triggering Windows shutdowns, with nothing in the system logs that would indicate what's the problem.

Few questions..

1. Why is this happening only in POE?

2. What does POE do differently than other games to stress my PC?

3. Could this be an issue with me using Ryzen over Intel?

(I made the switch from 12yr old Intel Cpu to a Ryzen right before Delirium starte) Had these shutdown issues only since Delirium.

Swapped PSU, GPU, RAM, nothing fixed this.
"
LastMagus wrote:
I gotta bring attention to this again, two leagues later and my POE still triggering Windows shutdowns, with nothing in the system logs that would indicate what's the problem.

Few questions..

1. Why is this happening only in POE?

2. What does POE do differently than other games to stress my PC?

3. Could this be an issue with me using Ryzen over Intel?

(I made the switch from 12yr old Intel Cpu to a Ryzen right before Delirium starte) Had these shutdown issues only since Delirium.

Swapped PSU, GPU, RAM, nothing fixed this.

because you have something wrong in your windows installation that issue shut down commands when your pc comes under heavy load.
So again, fresh Windows'10 installation where you make sure the settings are correct (power plan and so on) and be VERY carefull of what 3 party software you install on it + make sure correct vendor drivers are installed. Also make sure motherboard bios is updated and settings there is correct.

This is 100% a problem with your hardware / software and not a GGG problem.
Last edited by HanSoloDK on Oct 24, 2020, 7:24:40 AM
Did all that, many times before. Even reinstalled Win + drivers and had nothing but POE on. Same thing happens. I'm also monitoring system temps and voltage spikes, nothing that doesn't look right or would indicate a critical system failure.

I know it's not GGG's fault, but I can't get over the fact that nothing, and I do mean nothing else causes this issue. So there has to be something in how the game uses up resources that triggers this.

Why doesn't any other game/app/stress test do anything to shutdown my system?

PS: I only use Win directly from Microsoft and I've tried both turning off updates and leaving updates on. Makes no difference.

If there was something wrong with a hardware component, I would assume that other games would've triggered the same error+shutdown at one point or another. POE may not be running on the world's greatest engine, but it's not nearly as demanding as some other AAA games out there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info