[3.12] ❄️Velyna's Hollow Palm Ice Crash ❄️15mil DPS | All Content | Tanky Boi | Leaguestart Section

3.12 Heist Updates

No fundamental changes, build is ready to go.

Simple playstyle, with stacked defences and big DPS. If things don't die instantly we have high elemental and physical mitigation plus evasion and dodge to keep us healthy. You'll be freezing everything which makes mapping feel very safe, and we have enough AOE+movespeed for deliriums or other clearspeed type mechanics.

Path of Building: Leaguestart | Midrange | Endgame | Literal God

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/Velyna

1. Introduction

1.1. Hollow Palm?

Hollow Palm is a keystone that gives us big damage based on how much DEX we have plus a ton of attack speed. In exchange, we give up both weapon slots and our gloves. No weapons means only unarmed skills can be used even though we are flagged as dual wielding.

1.2. Pros/Cons

Pros
  • Easy start, easy scaling: Ice crash works fine from the moment you can equip it and just keeps getting stronger with levels. Almost every point we spend on the tree is valuable and you will cruise through the acts to endgame.
  • Make Melee Great Again: This is among the safest melee builds I have played, even being locked in place for multistrike doesn't feel so bad here because the mobs are all frozen with you.
  • 3 Button gameplay: All we do is dash-slam-dash-slam then sometimes drop a totem for bosses, we don't need anything else. Other than flasks of course.

Cons
  • Stat budget: The build uses a lot of uniques with low/zero resist, plus we cannot equip gloves or a shield. It's not terribly hard to pack enough on belt/rings but gets expensive if you want damage mods as well.
  • Chaos/Degens: You can wear Devotos for some chaos res, but I personally just run near -60 and deal with it. Either way not a huge issue but worth mentioning.

1.3. Media

1.4. HC/SSF/Leaguestart Viable?

Yes, absolutely. We have enough mitigation+freeze HC is possible, and I added a frost blades leaguestart that follows the tree closely for easy respec. Just use that to farm up our jewel and we're in business.

1.5. Upgraded PoB
Installer

This version is updated faster and has extra features. The PoB links in the guide all use this and there might be differences from the standard one.

Uninstall PoB before installing this or you might get errors.

1.6. FAQ
-Why that helm enchant when we have full conversion?-
Added as cold works regardless, grabbing from your base damage before conversion.

1.7. Thanks
-Slottm-
Tree and cluster jewel improvements, theorycrafting.

2. Leveling

This section will help you get from act 1 to endgame easily. Ice Crash becomes available in Act 3 and you can play anything you want until then. I love Frost Blades so that's what I used for the leaguestart section, Cleave and Double Strike are also available right from the start of act 1.

If you don't have Hollow Palm yet use the SSF/Leaguestart tree. If you do have it you can likely afford levelling uniques to play whatever you want, but feel free to use it until level 28 anyway.

2.1. League Start/SSF

Frost Blades is a great skill if you keep your gear updated. It has massive melee range and AOE and can be used with any weapon type, plus it chills/freezes for some built-in defence. Its main drawback is the low single target DPS without good gear. For this guide I levelled SSF without any uniques or unethical drops, just using the vendor recipe to upgrade weapons and it wasn't too bad at all.

Weapon Recipe + Crafting
Sell these items to any vendor for a weapon with %physical damage, which you can augment and/or regal. Also don't forget about your crafting bench, you can almost always squeeze some more DPS/resist out of the gear you find by crafting it.

Act 1

---Attack---

---Auras/Movement---

Grab the frost blades gem and a weapon + shield from vendors, I usually go claws at the start since we dont have the stats for much else. Added cold/fire become available in town when you reach the prison, and after killing Brutus you can grab precision.

By the end of this act try to have one Iron Ring and either another Iron or a Sapphire.

Paua Amulet and Rustic Sash help also.

We don't take any weapon specific talents so check all rare 1H drops, as long as you keep upgrading weapons Frost Blades is a very smooth leveling experience.

Act 2

--Attack--

---Auras/Movement---

Find the cave in Old Fields and kill the bear for a Rustic Sash quest reward, use it to craft a new weapon. You get Herald of Ice and new supports in this act so our dps should go up a bit. Make sure you upgrade flasks as well.

Act 3

---Attack---

---Auras/Misc---

---Movement---

Near the end of act 3 make sure to do the library quest for new gems, mainly fortify and ancestral warchief totem. I would recommend hitting level ~32 and running first lab before finishing the act. Make sure you have fortify in a four link before attempting it.

Act 4-6

---Attack---

---Auras/Misc---

---Movement---

---CWDT---

Act 4 gives us access to CWDT for an easy offense + defense boost.

In act 5 you can get a Frost Blades jewel and some good flask options from quests.

Look to tackle your second lab around act 6.

Act 7-10

I ran third lab right before finishing act 10.

Since this is a temporary tree just put any points past this wherever you need, life or damage, mana leech, stats to equip stuff it doesn't matter.

2.2. Hollow Palm

With hollow palm 80% of your travel nodes become damage, starting as a dex heavy ranger is great for us. Feel free to pick up a few extra life nodes along the way for lab safety while generally following the midrange/endgame PoB pathing.

Follow the PoB tree after this.

Wildwrap + Thiefs Torment carried me through most of my levelling.

https://www.twitch.tv/velyna
Last edited by Velyna on Sep 19, 2020, 9:25:43 AM
Last bumped on Sep 20, 2020, 7:12:23 PM

3. Gear

Helmet

These helmets are both very strong choices, with Fractal Thoughts being more DPS and starks more life+evasion. Use whichever suits your playstyle or whichever one is affordable with the "15% damage gained as extra cold" enchant.

Chest

Wildwrap gives us massive DPS for very cheap, and also makes a great double corrupt target. It's not required, but theres nothing better.

Boots

We get a ton of health from these with our high DEX, and combined with everything else they offer its an easy choice.

The penetration lab enchant is a massive boost to your boss damage and absolutely worth farming once you get the boots.

Jewellery

Although its possible to craft a better amulet than Astramentis, it wouldnt be enough better to justify the cost to me.

For the rings we want:

• Resist Base
  • Aspect of the Spider
  • Frostbite on hit
  • Life
  • Dexterity
  • Resists
  • Open prefix for -9 mana craft

You can get 2 rings with DEX/Life/Resists plus an open prefix easily and that's more than enough to start on. Bonus if you also get an open suffix for Aspect of Spider so you can slap it on whenever for that easy upgrade. The frostbite on hit will be a bit expensive for a good one, try to get at least resists+DEX on it and don't worry about life unless you have the cash.

Belt

Cyclopean Coil is fantastic damagewise plus it gives us freeze immunity and a good amount of HP. You can get one corrupted with resistance to make balancing easier, or go uncorrupted then add attribute catalysts. The crafted belt is a bit more HP and damage but you drop freeze immune.

Jewels

Watchers Eye: Cold pen and/or increased cold damage.

Brutal Restraint: Roll for 5% increased DEX or gain 5% of physical damage as extra cold. Life, attack speed, or elemental damage are decent hits also. Try to get at least 2 % dex nodes for a decent jewel.

Fluid Motion: This is a very common jewel and therefore a great target for 'corrupted blood cannot be inflicted on you'.

Cluster Jewels

• Large: Either the one shown here, or something with strong dual wield DPS. I think this one comes out ahead when cold exposure is applied and it also gives blind.
  • Medium: Get one with Cold Conduction+Blast Freeze if you can.
  • Small: This is flexible, I like getting the endurance charges for 12% phys mitigation we wouldn't otherwise have. Prismatic Carapace is a good choice also, or something with high life.

Flasks

Wise Oak: Quite cheap with 10% pen roll and still very solid, 15% is a bit more costly. Make sure your cold resistance is always highest obviously.

Lions Roar: Crazy damage boost plus 3000 armor, use a normal Granite flask here until you get it.

Taste of Hate: Probably the most expensive of the flasks but worth it, phys added as cold is a big stat for us. This flask helps a lot if you arent wearing Cyclopean Coil with its chance to avoid freeze, plus taking phys as cold is great.

4. Misc

4.1 Ascend
  • Way of the Poacher
  • Rapid Assault

You can do these in whatever order you like, really. I would grab the first two before the second two.

4.2 Bandit

We help Oak, everything he gives us is nice especially while leveling.

4.3 Pantheon

Major: Solaris or Lunaris

Minor: Gruthkul

We pick up some phys mitigation here to round out defence, although these are all flexible I would highly recommend this as a base.
Last edited by Velyna on Jul 22, 2020, 3:41:32 PM
Seen this build in action and its pretty good,fast clear,nice damage,decent survivability and only a few map restriction,if you like ice crash as a skill i would totally recommend.
Waiting for update

just ask what if we use arcrobatic or iron reflex

and why you remove split personality from high end version ?
Hey there!

So the endgame version was my current setup, and I rolled 5% dex on the frenzy and endurance charge nodes making them more valuable than the split personality.

Those points could also go into Acrobatics and I actually will update the endgame PoB to reflect that because it just makes more sense. I wouldn't use Iron Reflexes as it removes all the Evasion Rating we get from our 1300 dex before converting to armour.
Last edited by Velyna on May 18, 2020, 2:07:16 AM
Awesome build, is extremely fun. Great build from a great player/streamer 👍🏻.
what ascendancy first?
Gear section coming?
"
tenme1 wrote:
what ascendancy first?

Way of the Poacher.

"
Xzazer wrote:
Gear section coming?

Absolutely, I should have it up in a day or 2.

amazing build ,lame question coming in hehe if used as a league starter what should i use untill i can get the One With Nothing
Small Cluster Jewel? and what would be the most optimal way to gear up ? thank you
Last edited by realVIP on Jun 10, 2020, 10:45:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info