Suggestion for the Current Outdated and Unnecessarily Inconvenient Status of Item Sorting in PoE

So I know that you devs already get bombarded with these same suggestions for improving the game via Reddit posts, official forums and even on the recent Baeclast, but I think it's worth for you guys to AT LEAST experiment a better system of item sorting and improving overall on what you have going for you currently when it comes to your somewhat outdated and not the most convenient system of item sorting and management that you have in the game. It's not that you have the worst item sorting in the game, it's just that, it feels like TarkeKat has mentioned in his video https://youtu.be/81yE65ZQ3kQ, very micromanagement like in the sense that, once you finish a map and go back to hideout, or even go back to hideout in the middle of a map due to your inventory size (which I think could honestly also be bigger given how much more items we have today as opposed to back in 2013), once it fills up, you go to your hideout, and you have, even for an experienced player, a good amount of time, all of which adds up, in which you are sorting where to put certain items because each one of them have a different value and belong in different stash tabs.

In addition, this time is also being added up when you are asked to trade for an item from a player, and that item is sitting in one of your ten to twenty premium tabs all of which are titled "1 chaos" "2 chaos", which auto-title themselves to the same name of "1 chaos", "x currency" etc. after you choose a set price for each tab, making it so that unless you edit the name of the stash afterwards, you have to search through every single identical tab and then hope the player waiting on your trade does not get frustrated and leave to trade with someone else who will likely go through the same process of searching for an item. Sure there are workarounds to all of this, i.e. Of course, as a workaround, you can change the name of the tab(s) and all the items remain as 1 chaos, for example, changing "~price 1 chaos" into "~price 1.1 chaos" etc. But to have to do this just as a workaround to an already broken system of item sorting does not make much sense and has been outlined as a common complaint amongst a vast majority of streamers and regular players who have played the game since closed alpha. One streamer pointed out how they understand paying for more stash space but it almost feels like the item sorting is so bad that instead of fixing the bad item sorting system, they leave it as bad as it currently is just so you would buy more quad tabs and force dump all your loot in quad tabs out of convenience to not have to worry about the broken sorting system that is currently in place.

Moreover, I remember you mentioning that the more you do these type of auto-sort improvements, the more it becomes a slippery slope as in with EVE. However, I think that you should AT LEAST make an experiment or trial period within your own testing servers to see how the game would operate with the option of merging all of your existing premium tabs into one (I would honestly pay a lot for this option if you made it available), so that instead of clicking on each tab individually, you can just scroll down in your 1 single tab that has all of your tabs combined, and then also make it so that you have a much easier time of just searching in 1 tab for an item you want to highlight instead of cycling through 20 tabs to store certain items as well as searching for them. In addition, a store all and auto-sort button that would dump your whole inventory into your stash and have it auto sort itself into the right areas, I think would also be a very nice QoL touch as well as maybe increasing our current inventory size so that we don't have to keep teleporting back and forth at least 1 or 2 times during a map just to vendor or store items because we are out of space in our inventory and can't pick up more items.

If you are wary or afraid that this would make your game worse, I think that you should AT LEAST test some type of system like this internally from an experimental server. Imagine, if this would alleviate and make your game better in the sense that players get to enjoy the more fun aspects of your game due to the time not being wasted on sitting in hideouts and sorting loot or searching for loot. Imagine how it could potentially improve your game not only for the existing players, but also for newcomers. I know that I am not the only one pointing this out because TarketKat, CuteDog_ other big streamers as well as Reddit and the player base, in general, have wished for there to be a better system of item sorting and there to be less micromanagement when it comes to items and their storage in your game for a long time now.

More extensively, since I started playing this game back in early 2013 and even today, I am confused as to why we do not have an option, similar to Runescape in which we can empty our whole/entire inventory into our Stash in our hideout or in town so that all of the items are stored where they are supposed to be with the click of 1 button. Instead of us having to micro-manage the loot we get after each map or trade since not all loot goes into the same tabs.

Like, Runescape for example, has one of the best QoL's when it comes to items, in my opinion. You just click one button in your bank stash that stores all of your items from your inventory into the correct slots in the bank/stash. PoE devs could take a few notes from the organization and storage of items from Runescape instead of this constant micromanagement of loot that everyone loathes & slows down the process of actually playing through the game instead of wasting your time on sorting where to put all of your items. Although, I could be wrong on this and maybe this micromanagement adds to the fun of the game, but for some reason, it just feels to me and others like it can honestly be better and it's been the same way since 2013. Considering so much has changed in your game since 2013, I think with changing times maybe it's worth for you to at least examine if the current state of your item sorting and inventory or tabs that you have works considering it has been the same since 2013 and back then there were not nearly as many items.

It just feels like, with the constant addition of these new currency tabs, it feels like this is making it worse with each iteration of these new tabs we have to purchase to store certain items. For example, with the new oil, delirium, metamorph, etc. tabs, we are now forced to spend even more time cycling through and switching between certain tabs just to sort our items instead of just having a more condensed, singular, one tab that holds all of the items, that you could scroll through, and wasting a good amount of time, all of which adds up just standing in our hideouts or in town sorting items instead of actually playing the game. I am not against the sale of these tabs, in fact, if you are afraid that you will somehow lose money with tab merging, you can instead make players to just pay for more inventory space in one tab, this is what Runescape does also. Runescape without a membership has less inventory space and with a membership fee, you have increased inventory space. Perhaps you can instead just make it so that if we want more space in our stash, instead of buying more tabs, we can pay for more stash space that would equal to the same amount of space that we get with premium tabs. I and a lot of others would pay for this. Additionally, if you made some way for us to merge all of these tabs so that we don't have to constantly go back and forth between tabs to store certain items as well as giving us an option to empty our inventories into our stash and have it auto sort itself in the correct areas, it would alleviate so much wasted time in our Stashes that we spend after each map or trade and allow us to actually enjoy the fun aspects of the game instead of spending so much of our time just sorting items.

Allowing us to merge the tabs would also be useful because then we would be able to just keep scrolling down to search for items instead of clicking on each tab individually and even have an easier time to search for an item. Currently, we have to and can only search for items in each tab individually. If we were able to merge the tabs, we could scroll down more and the search function would search through all the items in just 1 tab instead of having to click on each tab individually and search each time for an item that way.

This time waste due to not having merged tabs is also a hindrance in the trading with other players aspect of the game as well since when a lot of your tabs are labeled as the same thing, such as "1 chaos" "2 chaos" etc. When you are asked for an item during trade, it is likely to be sitting in 1 of your 10-20 "1 chaos" tabs that you have to cycle through while the item is highlighted and then have the person wait on you while you search for the item fast enough and hope that they do not leave to trade for someone else who will likely have to go through the same process as well before finding the item that they have to give to the person wanting to trade.

Additionally, I believe that increasing the inventory size that we currently have on our character would serve a good purpose of not having to waste portals to keep going back and forth for items as well.

I have attached pictures of how easy the sorting and inventory is in Runescape for reference, also, notice how they have fish that you can fish for in their game and consume for temporary boosts, a possible avenue you guys could consider for a future league considering you guys were close to having fishing in the game as a real thing very early on but abandoned the idea. Yes, fishing might be a more MMORPG centered type aspect, but just how you did with farming in Harvest, I think you can make fishing work if you were to tie in ARPG aspects of your game into fishing as well, I just know that it's possible for you to make it work, it would be interesting to at least test out for a league to see if people like the concept. Anyway, these are just my suggestions, do with them what you will and I hope that you at least consider this suggestion or test it internally to see if it is something that would improve your game as I am always looking for ways that the game I and others enjoy could be better. Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
MLGonthorian

🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Khajit has wares... If you have coin...✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Best Leagues Ever Made: Synthesis>Harvest>Delve✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
Last edited by MLGonthorian on Sep 9, 2020, 4:04:33 AM
Last bumped on Sep 18, 2020, 12:58:45 AM
Because u spend a lot of time sorting your stash

Means if u not gonna sort u gonna play less hours

And in MY TOO MUCH HUMBLE OPINION!!! IM NOT SAYING THATS HOW IT REALLY IS!!!...

And imho they don't want u to play less hours cuz that means u spend less time thinking how to buy a stash tab about. Or a shiny mtx
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
"
Because u spend a lot of time sorting your stash

Means if u not gonna sort u gonna play less hours

And in MY TOO MUCH HUMBLE OPINION!!! IM NOT SAYING THATS HOW IT REALLY IS!!!...

And imho they don't want u to play less hours cuz that means u spend less time thinking how to buy a stash tab about. Or a shiny mtx

this is such a retarded argument from GGG

there is tons of player that just wont play POE because if shit like that.
so SURE maybe ill play 5 hours less in total.

BUT OH GOD, the 20% influx of new player that would probably continue playing if the game was more frendly, are not important at all.
well i guess for GGG they are really not.

LOOK at the leveling experience, as a new player u start the game,
and you think its an utter and upper shit game.
until like act 5

when you actually have all the gems, and you'r character has mobility, and can actually deal damage.

you literally playing some shit game, until act 6 ( or maps )
that is somehow familiar to poe.

to top it all with 4 stashes for new players,
and a shitty trading system, so new players don't even know about the existance of.

and you've got the best game, in being disgusting for new players.
a game that jsut trying it best to make new player's look the other way.

In the QoL-aware future toward which we are inevitably heading, many devs of the current era will be revealed as ignorant, but few -- those who actively stood in the way of humane software design, with their nonsensical/lazy/capitalist excuses -- will be revealed as downright criminal.
"
xSTGx wrote:
In the QoL-aware future toward which we are inevitably heading, many devs of the current era will be revealed as ignorant, but few -- those who actively stood in the way of humane software design, with their nonsensical/lazy/capitalist excuses -- will be revealed as downright criminal.

criminal? what?

they're providing a game and infrastructure for free.

and it's not pay to win, although they provide alot of convenience with stash tabs where they get shitstormed and called "greedy" on a regular basis.

but if they compensate for that and make having supported alot a slight disadvantage, threads like this come up, calling them criminal and retarded for things they never said

sometimes...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill
"
vio wrote:
"
xSTGx wrote:

criminal? what?

they're providing a game and infrastructure for free.

and it's not pay to win, although they provide alot of convenience with stash tabs where they get shitstormed and called "greedy" on a regular basis.

but if they compensate for that and make having supported alot a slight disadvantage, threads like this come up, calling them criminal and retarded for things they never said

sometimes...

the game does have pay to win aspects, denying that is wrong.
You can add text to the end of name of a tab and still keep the default price feature active. For example, a tab named "~b/o 1 chaos-unique-ro9" will still default the price of any item to 1 chaos. By default price I mean the price will be listed on the trade search sites at 1 chaos. You can set a different price on an individual item and that price will instead be the price listed for that item.

I haven't read all the posts in the thread but I'll mention that Chris has stated that GGG plans on allowing automatic sort being allowed for items that go into specialty tabs. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2882324
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will apparently eventually implement a different method for ascension. Yippee!
Last edited by Turtledove on Jul 29, 2020, 1:30:31 AM
"
Turtledove wrote:
You can add text to the end of name of a tab and still keep the default price feature active. For example, a tab named "~b/o 1 chaos-unique-ro9" will still default the price of any item to 1 chaos. By default price I mean the price will be listed on the trade search sites at 1 chaos. You can set a different price on an individual item and that price will instead be the price listed for that item.

I haven't read all the posts in the thread (nice)

Yes... this is already obvious and as I've stated, which you most likely missed since you haven't read the actual post or just selectively chose to read one part, I specifically state:

"...that item is sitting in one of your ten to twenty premium tabs all of which are titled "1 chaos" "2 chaos" making it so that you have to search through every single identical tab and then hope the player waiting on your trade does not get frustrated and leave to trade with someone else who will likely go through the same process of searching for an item. Sure there are workarounds to all of this..."

Of course, as a workaround, you can change the name of the tab(s) and all the items remain as 1 chaos, for example, changing "~price 1 chaos" into "~price 1.1 chaos" etc. But to have to do this just as a workaround to an already broken system of item sorting does not make much sense and has been outlined as a common complaint amongst a vast majority of streamers and regular players who have played the game since closed alpha. One streamer pointed out how they understand paying for more stash space but it almost feels like the item sorting is so bad that instead of fixing the bad item sorting system, they leave it as bad as it currently is just so you would buy more quad tabs and force dump all your loot in quad tabs out of convenience to not have to worry about the broken sorting system that is currently in place.

I am glad and looking forward to the future given what Chris has said in the recent post on his outlook about item sorting, I just wish it were here sooner, to be honest given people have given suggestions about the item sorting and have complained about its cumbersome, outdated and unnecessary nature since back in early 2013.
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Khajit has wares... If you have coin...✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Best Leagues Ever Made: Synthesis>Harvest>Delve✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
Last edited by MLGonthorian on Jul 29, 2020, 11:20:04 AM
PoE is made for Hardcore ARPG players, and ANY QoL is detrimental to the vision of the game, therefore no QoL is allowed in it.

You must run 1000 maps to complete the Atlas, run 200 maps to fight the Avatar of the Grove, run 1000 maps, and go to depth 300 to find AUL, do 2000 maps to fight Venarius in the Cortex map.

If you do not click once to pick up item to inventory, then click again to pick it from inventory, then click again to select a tab, then click again to place the item in the stash, then you are not a true HARDCORE player and the game is not for you.

/s
"
drklrd wrote:
PoE is made for Hardcore ARPG players, and ANY QoL is detrimental to the vision of the game, therefore no QoL is allowed in it.

You must run 1000 maps to complete the Atlas, run 200 maps to fight the Avatar of the Grove, run 1000 maps, and go to depth 300 to find AUL, do 2000 maps to fight Venarius in the Cortex map.

If you do not click once to pick up item to inventory, then click again to pick it from inventory, then click again to select a tab, then click again to place the item in the stash, then you are not a true HARDCORE player and the game is not for you.

/s

this deserves a LOL :D

I would like to add that divination cards were invented to make it even more hardcore. One of my all time favorite: Rain of Chaos (pick up 8 cards and turn them into 1 chaos orb when you give the stack to Navali) - that's dedication..or desperation? Maybe both...

(I know we have item-filters)
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info