Minion Builds Need a Nerf

Relative to the amount of investment and attention to play involved - minion builds are way too powerful right now. Doesn't even really matter what minion you use - spectres, zombies, animate weapon, whatever.

I get that there needs to be a "safe" choice to play, a league starter for people that don't want to be gear dependent, etc. But right now it's over the top.

Minion builds can invest almost exclusively into defensive nodes on the tree, take just a few damage clusters, and do 10+ million boss DPS very easily - trivializing the content.

Part of the mechanical advantage is related to all the screen clutter when playing through high-level juiced maps. If you're like me and have old eyes and slow reflexes, it's hard to even tell where damage is coming from a lot of the time. Minions solve that by auto-aiming at everything so you can focus on dodging.

I'm fine with that ease of play being an advantage of summoners, but there also needs to be some tradeoff - bossing DPS, or clear speed, or something - to get that huge defensive edge. Right now the tradeoff isn't there.

Suggested nerfs -

1. Map mods with "players cursed with..." should be "players and allies cursed with...". Also, add some specific minion-targeted map mods so they get less of a free ride.

2. Bosses should have additional damage resistance against minion attacks, and have bonus damage against minions to require more investment into minion survival. Minion builds absolutely trivialize bosses currently.

3. Minion movement speed reduced across the board so that it requires more investment in that stat to boost clear speed. Maybe add some more minion speed on the skill tree to compensate.

4. "Minions have a chance to taunt on hit" should not be available on abyssal jewels. Again, this makes boss encounters laughably easy.

5. Reduced effect of power/frenzy charges on minions. Currently they get the same buff as enemies do from these charges, leading to ridiculous DPS boosts just from raising some frenzy charge Apes as spectres.
Last bumped on Jul 16, 2020, 11:06:32 AM
who asks for a nerf i mean who some mean person who wants others to suffer ??? I have never understood the logic in asking to harm others just for YOUR pleasure .
So u don't wanna play summoner and u r pissed cuz others play it and enjoy it, right?

U invested a lot in your build and it still sux?

Whats your problem with other people? Let them enjoy
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
"
So u don't wanna play summoner and u r pissed cuz others play it and enjoy it, right?

U invested a lot in your build and it still sux?

Whats your problem with other people? Let them enjoy

I've played summoner a bunch of times. My 2 highest level characters are necromancer...

Look at poe.ninja stats, Necromancer has been the dominant class for the last three leagues at least.

Looking at 95% of builds and thinking "huh, I can play this but I know I'm making a bad choice because the obvious and better one is minion build" is not healthy to the game long-term.

OK bro, so why dont u ask about buffing the skill gem u like instead? If u think they are kinda forcing u to play summoner cuz its most effective now

Do the same what did when was asking about nerfing but bring some points into the buffing the skill gem u like
If I dont reply to you - I dont give a flying duck about your opinion

If you dont reply to me - I dont care either because I dont come back to see who replied to me
Last edited by The_Great_Alex on Jul 12, 2020, 4:13:11 AM
I have a fresh necromancer and without all dps nodes on the tree and buying a lvl 20 specter gem dps is crap so I dont know what you are talking about

I have almost no defensive nodes on tree on my necro and dps is still crap and necro gear is very expensive
Summoner builds in general (spectres, zombies, blink arrow/mirrow arrow really anything with a summon tag) is absolutley busted even on low budget with infinite scaling on high budget. Summoners generally make melee look like a bad joke.

Some T17 100% delirious zombie summoner example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/hpna5u/finally_done_harvest_crafting_my_zombiemancer_at/

Or summoner crushing t19 100% delirious max juiced:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/ho9m42/comment/fxilkfd?context=1
Last edited by zzang on Jul 13, 2020, 10:33:50 AM
The summoner flies with endless jerks, followed by a clot of minions with great speed and attacks other clumps consisting of monsters on the map.
Now the summoner is a swarming, incomprehensible mass, it is not clear why, which prevents us from understanding what is happening on the screen.
Zombies, spectres, and skeletons have had major nerfs since Blight, and Necromancers have had additional minor ones. The Baron was gutted along with strength-stacking summoners overall (Shaper unique gloves got wrecked as part of this). Plus feeding frenzy support got nerfed to the point where it’s in quite an odd spot - leveling the gem doesn’t even provide much of a benefit.

There may be some specific spectres or something that need adjustments, but overall I don’t think the summoner archetype needs additional punishment from GGG.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
They are only powerful because you can automate and just turn around your chars without the need to do anything else.

Imo the nerf to summoners should come to defense not offense . I would think the defensive nods on necromancers could get a nerf, offerings skills too And give less life to spectres . Nerfing their damage is not necessary.
QA Team supporter.
Last edited by lolozori on Jul 12, 2020, 7:18:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info