Just finished reading Ulysses

Holy fucking shit. What a book. Loved it. Can't wait to read it again in a few years to get the rest of the 90% of references.
Last bumped on Aug 14, 2020, 2:07:58 AM
Rejoyce!
I'm skilled in avoidance! I can dance on the head of a pin as well, fleet of foot n all that...
That is a love it or hate it book. Like Brothers Karamazov.
Censored.
"
Rejoyce!

+1 :)
~ Do not expect to be taken seriously if you hide behind a private profile or an alt account.
A good book for those who aren't yung and easily freudened.

I was very fortunate to have spent an entire undergrad semester breaking Ulysses down -- each person in the class was given a chapter to analyse. We were all very envious of the one who got the Fireworks. I think I got the newspaper article chapter, because I remember 'Clever, Very'...

As my literary prof said with an eye roll when I proudly told him I'd managed my way through Ulysses independently a year later, "now go read Finnegans Wake and kiss goodbye to the next 20 years of your life".

(I didn't -- I know an academic troll when I see one, and Joyce admitted at least once that's precisely why he wrote FW. Portrait of an artist as a young man is worth it for context though.)

Related to this: I recently tried to give Gravity's Rainbow a proper crack. According to Kindle, I made it 11% before caving and seeking brain shelter in much easier to understand books. If you want a name-drop macro ubernovel about an entire era, I deeply recommend Delillo's Underworld for his crazy trip through post-WWII America, 50s through to 90s. Who knew the history of a baseball could be so fascinating?
I am W James Chan, author of Blackcloak: A Man of His Sword, the novel from which the PoE unique Oni-Goroshi is derived. So if you liked that, give the book a go on Amazon. I think it's pretty good -- but like Her, it isn't to be come at lightly, and it definitely isn't what it first seems to be.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 22, 2020, 10:46:54 PM
Sometimes I felt Altnaharra was James Joyce's standard bearer for flight-of-ideas prose.

You definitely need to step up your right-brain game to get the full gist of either. Or have a couple drams into ya first.
"How do you lure the Elder to the centre of the Atlas?"
"A box trap with some candy should do the trick"
of the “meme trilogy” books (Ulysses, Infinite Jest, Gravity’s Rainbow), I must admit Ulysses was the least pleasurable read for me, but also the one with the most literary relevance
GR is a real doozy, I recommend that one next if you’ve not yet had that joy
“What kind of f*cking neighborhood is this!?”
“People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.”

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info