Recommendation for Quiet gaming computer that can play POE

Anyone have a recommendation for a super quiet gaming rig that's not too expensive and doesn't take up too much space that can play POE without dropping frames?

I currently have an MSI QE62. I freaking hate the thing. It can only play POE when I turn on the fan, which sounds like an airplane. Otherwise I have to play at 800x600 resolution, and I still get dropped frames.

Looking for something less than $1000.

Last bumped on Sep 7, 2020, 11:36:29 PM
"
Seyi_ogunde wrote:
less than $1000.

not possible in todays market, youll get a bunch of people saying you can get a cheap build through newegg but then they gimp your build by 80% so that you can play solitaire with 120 frames...

you'll be looking to spend at least $1200 on a decent rig and thats on the cheapskate side. also if you get closed-loop liquid cooling it will be quieter than a fan pc.

the ideal gaming pc should have 8gb memory ram (honestly 16gb even), and at minimum 4gb graphics ram... if you go to pick out a PC setup on a prebuilt website (like walmart for example) you'll notice they try to make their PCs look amazing but their graphics card has like 2gb of ram which will do horribly for gameplay.

also you should have an SSD for your operating system only, and then put all your games and files on a separate HDD. not only will this make your pc very quiet but it optimizes performance.

anyway...you get what you pay for and less than $1000 is not a decent pc at all. maybe 6-7 years ago it was ok.

i hope someone comes along and suggests you a build but i think you get the best results if you researched it yourself as well. im not trying to shut you down at all, i just think thats in your best interest.

the stuff they sell these days for gaming are usually pretty good for building with, anyway. its not like back in the day when building a pc was unknown to most... it was harder to choose what was good. these days most builds are pretty much the same tiers. in lowest tier of gaming pc you'll find most builds have 16gb ram, 250gb SSD, 1tb HDD, gtx 1000x series graphics card or gtx 2000x series, i5 cpu (cheap ones usually 3.x ghz range)... or alternatively an AMD cpu, etc... sorry i cant give you any real specifics, like i said thats sorta what you gotta do yourself

edit; IF however my post doesnt satisfy you.. and you want a prebuilt pc, MSI still makes decent gaming rigs. it wont have the perfection of a custom build, but they are legit gaming pcs. huge downside is they come with pre-installed bloatware and ive never liked that. yeah you can uninstall them but i wish they wouldnt do that.
https://discord.com/invite/pathofexile
Last edited by deschanel on Jul 23, 2020, 11:15:24 AM
Generally if you're okay with your current performance and don't plan to upgrade soon, you can look towards some liquid cooling kit, maybe even used one to get it cheaper; otherwise i don't think it's possible to build something under $1k with conventional fans these days with a decent noise/performance ratio, GPUs tend to eat quite a lot of power under load.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
"
deschanel wrote:
also you should have an SSD for your operating system only, and then put all your games and files on a separate HDD. not only will this make your pc very quiet but it optimizes performance.

This is weird suggestion considering prices of SSDs are constantly dropping and you can get 2 or even 4TB for a price of 256MB one from few years back. SSDs are also better in terms of mechanical noise and heat generation as they have no moving parts.
A gaming PC will cost you about 700 bucks, if you want specific parts it can cost you some more, like for instance a liquid cooling system, dedicated soundcard and so on.

First rule of all,

do not buy a prebuild PC, but build your own! Prebuild PC´s are too expensive and still crap.

So what do you need,

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz 160 Euro
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 100 Euro (any AM4 will work, pick your favorite one, BIOS update may be required)
16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit 60 Euro
500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold 70 Euro
1000GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5 100 Euro
8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 200 Euro

Now pick a case of your choice, maybe 50 bucks and you are ready to go. If you don´t trust AMD´s CPU fan, get a Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. for 50.

Overall, it won´t cost you more than 700-800 Euro. Gaming PC´s are cheap to build and will last many years. The days are over, where you had to buy a new one every 1 or 2 years.

Edit:

Make sure to check your monitor, maybe you also need a new one for higher resolutions, if you currently play at 800x600.
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
deschanel wrote:

This is weird suggestion considering prices of SSDs are constantly dropping and you can get 2 or even 4TB for a price of 256MB one from few years back. SSDs are also better in terms of mechanical noise and heat generation as they have no moving parts.

its up to your preference personally I dont like playing games from an SSD because not only does it not make a lick of difference in your game performance but also SSDs are sensitive to the constant install/uninstall process of large games
"
Ygidua wrote:
A gaming PC will cost you about 700 bucks, if you want specific parts it can cost you some more, like for instance a liquid cooling system, dedicated soundcard and so on.

First rule of all,

do not buy a prebuild PC, but build your own! Prebuild PC´s are too expensive and still crap.

So what do you need,

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6x 3.60GHz 160 Euro
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max 100 Euro (any AM4 will work, pick your favorite one, BIOS update may be required)
16GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit 60 Euro
500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold 70 Euro
1000GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5 100 Euro
8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 200 Euro

Now pick a case of your choice, maybe 50 bucks and you are ready to go. If you don´t trust AMD´s CPU fan, get a Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev. for 50.

Overall, it won´t cost you more than 700-800 Euro. Gaming PC´s are cheap to build and will last many years. The days are over, where you had to buy a new one every 1 or 2 years.

Edit:

Make sure to check your monitor, maybe you also need a new one for higher resolutions, if you currently play at 800x600.

MSI prebuilt pcs are priced exaclty as much as it costs to build them, you just pay for the shipping. i wouldnt stan any other shitty prebuilt service. it also saves noobs like OP the trouble of building their own pc to those horrible specs... i mean radeon and a single drive :\ you get what you pay for, like i said. to each their own
Last edited by deschanel on Jul 24, 2020, 4:50:07 AM
"
deschanel wrote:
"
Seyi_ogunde wrote:
less than $1000.

not possible in todays market, youll get a bunch of people saying you can get a cheap build through newegg but then they gimp your build by 80% so that you can play solitaire with 120 frames...

you'll be looking to spend at least $1200 on a decent rig and thats on the cheapskate side. also if you get closed-loop liquid cooling it will be quieter than a fan pc.

This is bunch of bullsh*t. You can get more than decent gaming pc for 1000$.

For PoE, 2 things make major difference, cpu and ssd.
3.11💀 Death Angel /view-thread/2784358 *3.10 🔨Icebreaker /view-thread/2686278
3.11 Ultimate Poison Pathfinder /view-thread/2639074
3.11 Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone /view-thread/2554593
3.10 Elementalist Incinerate /view-thread/2318921
3.10 Chieftain Incinerate /view-thread/2506867
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jul 24, 2020, 5:39:48 AM
"
"
deschanel wrote:
"
Seyi_ogunde wrote:
less than $1000.

This is bunch of bullsh*t. You can get more than decent gaming pc for 1000$.

For PoE 2 things make major difference, cpu and ssd.

i probably should have accounted for your USD currency but my point still stands, op is asking for one less than $700 id like to see you build that
"
deschanel wrote:
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
deschanel wrote:

its up to your preference personally I dont like playing games from an SSD because not only does it not make a lick of difference in your game performance but also SSDs are sensitive to the constant install/uninstall process of large games

This is also bull.
It makes mayor difference for PoE, like night and day.

SSD lifespan
https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/storage-hardware/ssd-lifespan.html
3.11💀 Death Angel /view-thread/2784358 *3.10 🔨Icebreaker /view-thread/2686278
3.11 Ultimate Poison Pathfinder /view-thread/2639074
3.11 Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone /view-thread/2554593
3.10 Elementalist Incinerate /view-thread/2318921
3.10 Chieftain Incinerate /view-thread/2506867

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info