Recommendation for Quiet gaming computer that can play POE

"
sidtherat wrote:
quiet and 'quiet'

small and 'small'

you absolutely can make a gaming PC on a 1000$ budget, in fact you can go even cheaper

but it being also small and quiet? my definition of quiet is: you can hear HDD working over the noise of all other components (not that I use HDD but as a measurement)

if for one 'quiet' means 'headphones on I cant hear a PC' then sure. for me that is unacceptable. stock coolers.. sure, they got better over the years but i happen to know the recent AMD stock cooler sound and for me it is a hurricane. heck, even Noctua U14 at full is loud and Noctuas are top of the crop

OP should really specify what 'quiet' means to him, same as 'small'.

my gaming PC uses passive PSU, passive 2060 GPU (underclocked so that i can keep it at ~75C without fans under load. the KEY for that is metal backplate to spread the heat), noctua 14D at lowest with RPM reductor (cpu doesnt exceed 70 in cinebench) and variety of SSDs with 6 total 14cm fans and a LARGE case for great flow. that is 'almost quiet' because 6 fans (+2 on cpu) you can definitely hear when you know it is there). that is way over 1000$ and it is still not quiet nor small

so unless we know what OP is after both approaches are ok

here is a Amazon cart that i made in 5 mins

It's under 900e with Noctua cooler, which I don't think is needed but added it anyway.

I honestly can't hear my amd Spire cooler on Ryzen 7 at all.

And if he want's some mini case that could be worked out as well.

PS
I can hear hdd at night if i click on that drive.
After his "airplane" pc, he will be satisfied with pretty much anything new nowdays.
Your pc is like for sound nazis :D
3.11💀 Death Angel /view-thread/2784358 *3.10 🔨Icebreaker /view-thread/2686278
3.11 Ultimate Poison Pathfinder /view-thread/2639074
3.11 Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone /view-thread/2554593
3.10 Elementalist Incinerate /view-thread/2318921
3.10 Chieftain Incinerate /view-thread/2506867
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jul 25, 2020, 3:40:27 PM
I just wanted to point out that years ago I remember a pc coming in to the little whole in the wall computer shop I worked at. Was building it himself, and couldn't post.

Turn's out he destroyed the cpu installing the heatsink/fan - of course this was one of the amd cpus where the core was directly exposed so it's a lot less likely to happen these days with more current hardware.

Of course, several weeks back I was watching some videos explaining leaking in the corsair water block so it doesn't mean a lot to get rid of the sound if you kill the pc in the process.

In other words, be careful and be honest with your yourself as far as your comfort level in pc building and troubleshooting. Almost all of my troubleshooting capability arose out of fixing various gaming issues over the years and those were often headaches in their own right.
Yep, totally over league play.
"
_Daybit_ wrote:
"
deschanel wrote:
also you should have an SSD for your operating system only, and then put all your games and files on a separate HDD. not only will this make your pc very quiet but it optimizes performance.

[Removed by Support]
You don't need HDD in modern PC. nvmE SSD like 512 Gb-1 Tb are cheap enough and have enough resource to last for like 5-10 years if you do using it extensively.
And the games should absolutely use SSD, especially Path of Exile.

I mean you're saying that almost matter of factly when that isnt true.
https://discord.com/invite/pathofexile
"
"
sidtherat wrote:
quiet and 'quiet'

small and 'small'

you absolutely can make a gaming PC on a 1000$ budget, in fact you can go even cheaper

but it being also small and quiet? my definition of quiet is: you can hear HDD working over the noise of all other components (not that I use HDD but as a measurement)

if for one 'quiet' means 'headphones on I cant hear a PC' then sure. for me that is unacceptable. stock coolers.. sure, they got better over the years but i happen to know the recent AMD stock cooler sound and for me it is a hurricane. heck, even Noctua U14 at full is loud and Noctuas are top of the crop

OP should really specify what 'quiet' means to him, same as 'small'.

my gaming PC uses passive PSU, passive 2060 GPU (underclocked so that i can keep it at ~75C without fans under load. the KEY for that is metal backplate to spread the heat), noctua 14D at lowest with RPM reductor (cpu doesnt exceed 70 in cinebench) and variety of SSDs with 6 total 14cm fans and a LARGE case for great flow. that is 'almost quiet' because 6 fans (+2 on cpu) you can definitely hear when you know it is there). that is way over 1000$ and it is still not quiet nor small

so unless we know what OP is after both approaches are ok

here is a Amazon cart that i made in 5 mins

It's under 900e with Noctua cooler, which I don't think is needed but added it anyway.

I honestly can't hear my amd Spire cooler on Ryzen 7 at all.

And if he want's some mini case that could be worked out as well.

PS
I can hear hdd at night if i click on that drive.
After his "airplane" pc, he will be satisfied with pretty much anything new nowdays.
Your pc is like for sound nazis :D

92mm fan is.. like 5-10 times less efficient than 140mm fan, thats why they go up to 150mm for the top of the line. 14cm Noctuas are like 90-100$, +20 if you want to make it a double (one heatsink + two fans in push-pull + rpm reductor). air flow (and inversely - noise) is quadratic function of fan radius.

but again, you are right: you can build a very good gaming PC nowadays, esp if you go for almost-cutting edge like previous gen this and that. it still runs every thing perfectly but you dont pay premium for novelty.

that setup of yours, few notes from a 'sound freak':

- no case with transparent panel counts as 'quiet'. the acryl/plexi/glass is rigid and as such transfers the noise well. it can also resonate with outside noises (like noisy street etc). no silent PC uses transparent box unless you go full water+passive. at the very least that transparent part lacks any sound dampening..

- if you want quiet GPU you go with the largest you can find (and fit into your case) and make sure you get metal backplate (it might be tricky to check online as this is not widely advertised characteristic). it truly makes a tremendous difference. targe GPU means 3 large fans that need to do far less work than 2 fans. large GPU means humongous heatsink+backplate to facilitate even heat spread and removal

- if you go with nvme, mind where you mount it - most mobos have 2 PCIE slots and some have 2+ NVME slots (some with pcie, some with sata lanes - mind that). try to make sure your GPU doesnt cover the NVME drive. fast ones like samsung's pros or even evo pluses can get VERY hot quickly and put you into throttling. that CAN affect your gameplay if that coincides with stuff like Legion

- add at least 3 140mm fans to the list, the better the airflow in the case, the less work gpu/cpu cooling has to do. i hope it can take 3 front fans and at least 1 more top fan.

final note: there is not a single upside of HDD. i do not know who started with this nonsense but nowadays HDD is only good if you need to get storage CHEAPLY. no normal usage will ever reach the wear threshold on consumer SDDs. it used to be a problem with 32/64 GB drives with bad drivers. today? please. HDD is like CDROM - thing of a past.
tip: buy it form bazaar. Its usually 1/3 cheaper.
"
sidtherat wrote:

92mm fan is.. like 5-10 times less efficient than 140mm fan, thats why they go up to 150mm for the top of the line. 14cm Noctuas are like 90-100$, +20 if you want to make it a double (one heatsink + two fans in push-pull + rpm reductor). air flow (and inversely - noise) is quadratic function of fan radius.

but again, you are right: you can build a very good gaming PC nowadays, esp if you go for almost-cutting edge like previous gen this and that. it still runs every thing perfectly but you dont pay premium for novelty.

that setup of yours, few notes from a 'sound freak':

- no case with transparent panel counts as 'quiet'. the acryl/plexi/glass is rigid and as such transfers the noise well. it can also resonate with outside noises (like noisy street etc). no silent PC uses transparent box unless you go full water+passive. at the very least that transparent part lacks any sound dampening..

- if you want quiet GPU you go with the largest you can find (and fit into your case) and make sure you get metal backplate (it might be tricky to check online as this is not widely advertised characteristic). it truly makes a tremendous difference. targe GPU means 3 large fans that need to do far less work than 2 fans. large GPU means humongous heatsink+backplate to facilitate even heat spread and removal

- if you go with nvme, mind where you mount it - most mobos have 2 PCIE slots and some have 2+ NVME slots (some with pcie, some with sata lanes - mind that). try to make sure your GPU doesnt cover the NVME drive. fast ones like samsung's pros or even evo pluses can get VERY hot quickly and put you into throttling. that CAN affect your gameplay if that coincides with stuff like Legion

- add at least 3 140mm fans to the list, the better the airflow in the case, the less work gpu/cpu cooling has to do. i hope it can take 3 front fans and at least 1 more top fan.

final note: there is not a single upside of HDD. i do not know who started with this nonsense but nowadays HDD is only good if you need to get storage CHEAPLY. no normal usage will ever reach the wear threshold on consumer SDDs. it used to be a problem with 32/64 GB drives with bad drivers. today? please. HDD is like CDROM - thing of a past.

Yeah, you know that stuff better. I was just throwing things in the cart.

I have Ryzen 7 2700 with nVidia 1050 (major bottleneck), not even Ti.
-Versa H17 Thermaltake case with 1 120mm fan (windowed version)
-6y old LC power 550w psu
-16 Gb ram
-m1 drive
-hdd

So 4 fans in total.
Just checked with the Sound Metter app (Abc Apps) for Android.
Noise near the plexiglass cover is ~20dB while surfing and ~33dB while playing PoE. To me that's quiet. Basically, my fridge makes more noise.
Very rarely happens that gpu spins the fan on high for 2-3 seconds and that you can hear.

I've limited the fps in PoE to 60 so there is no overuse of gpu when it's not needed.

Btw getting mechanical keyboard was the most stupid decision ever.

3.11💀 Death Angel /view-thread/2784358 *3.10 🔨Icebreaker /view-thread/2686278
3.11 Ultimate Poison Pathfinder /view-thread/2639074
3.11 Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone /view-thread/2554593
3.10 Elementalist Incinerate /view-thread/2318921
3.10 Chieftain Incinerate /view-thread/2506867
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jul 25, 2020, 6:29:13 PM
People make sub 1k pc builds on youtube all the time, they explain the parts and stuff too. search for 850-1k pc build. the sad reality about poe, people with thousand dollar rigs still lag, it's the game, not only your pc. until ggg actually optimizes the game, we will continue to lag with tier 1 parts.
"
Seyi_ogunde wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for a super quiet gaming rig that's not too expensive and doesn't take up too much space that can play POE without dropping frames?

I currently have an MSI QE62. I freaking hate the thing. It can only play POE when I turn on the fan, which sounds like an airplane. Otherwise I have to play at 800x600 resolution, and I still get dropped frames.

Looking for something less than $1000.

i got one of these graphics cards, 8gb cheap as shit, you wont find a 8gb card this cheap they are a steal, there only flaw being they get a bit warm but its not an issue the card can handle it :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Radeon-RX-590-RX-590P8DLD6/dp/B07TK37HPW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=IMFQBVS5QYX8&dchild=1&keywords=radeon+fatboy&qid=1595776836&sprefix=radeon+fatboy%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1

i got a z170 motherboard and skylake 6600k processor, 16gb 4x4 ddr4 3000mhz ram, game plays like a beut and the overall build cost me under 1k easily (3 years ago and it still runs like a dream) odds are its even chaper now too! only downside is it takes 2 pcie cables and it does eat a bit of electric but i can game ALL day for less than £1 still and thats with other shit being used in the house too..

so to put what you need in a list (u can just type this stuff in amazon or a pc site)
-radon fatboy
-z170 motherboard (lga1151) 270s + 370s are out now too i think so can get those if desired
-8-16gb ddr4 2400+mhz ram (most games dont use past 8gb i got 16 cause i host servers and play on the same system)
-skylake 6600k or better.
-550w psu with 2x pcie connectors
-a good processor heatsink, i went for a 6 pipe vertical one that blows heat straight out the back of the case something like so... just make sure its compatible with the board.
-an SSD
-a 1tb hdd (dont forget to get sata's or use ur old ones)
-a breezy case of your desire. (2 fans on front one on the back at least as this card does need good airflow)

this sorta power does come with a bit of sound but eh you could liquid cool the processor to lower that, but a graphics card of this calibur you will hear the fans roar on odd occasion not of the annoyance you describe though and the days of lag and shit fps are gone.

i got a pretty shit case for mine as i went all out on the tech so all i hear is the fans it came with(could easily be rid of if i just buy some better quality fans for airflow but its only a low hum that dont bother me, fridge makes more noise lmao) never heard the graphics card or processor fans other than on rare occasion my graphics card will hit 80+ and spin the fans for a few seconds to cool itself back off but this build is a straight beast and im yet to find a game that i cant play :P.

i have built this machine 3x now for me and 2 of my friends the only difference being what graphics cards we chose, everyones happy. 0 complaints :). just my friend wish he picked my card and not a nividia one but he just wouldnt listen to me :P. i stand by radeon graphics you get so much more bang for your buck.

oh also forgot to mention the card is 4k too ;]
---------

it appears he hasnt even responded to any of these but eh fun to see all the computers you guys came up with :D im sure this thread will help someone.

---------
Last edited by Cchris07 on Jul 26, 2020, 4:12:04 PM
"Quiet gaming computer"

Dont use case. I had it for a long time with Noctua nh‑d15s.

Its most quiet solution I ever had.
Thanks for all the feedback. I took a lot of your suggestions as well as watching a lot of youtube videos. Sorry for the very very late response. I ended up quitting POE for a while and built my PC in the meantime. I learned A LOT about building a PC from your help.

I just wanted to let people know what I ended up building, which might help future builders.

So the machine I ended up building is SUPER quiet. I can't even tell that it's on!

GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX AM4 AMD B550 Mini-ITX Motherboard 179.99
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 179.99
Corsair Vengeance 32gig 3200 59.99
1 TB Sabrent SSD 199.98
Noctua NH-DL CPU fan 54.95
Silverstone NJ450-SXL fanless PSU 170.05
Streacom da2 265
Palit GTX 1650 fanless GPU 199
140mm Noctua fans 50
92mm Noctua fan 20
Windows 10 from Kinguin (37)

Total: 1378.95

That doesn't include tax and shipping or a monitor/keyboard/mouse which I already had. I probably could have saved money with going with a different case, but at that time, the Cooler Master NR200 that I wanted was not shipping.

Most of the commonly noisiest components are fanless: the gpu, Hard drive, and Power use passive cooling. I went with Noctua fans for their reputation of being super quiet.

It runs POE with no problems on the highest settings at 2k, and the fans don't even kick in because the temperatures stay pretty decent.

Anyway thanks for everyone's suggestions! Really proud of how this computer came out.

Note: You can actually install Windows 10 without buying it, but you lose any personalization options. I opted to buy a key from the Kinguin website. It worked, but you need to run Windows helpdesk to activate it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info