Framerate Spikes to Zero After Harvest Release

Prior to the release of Harvest, my performance was great. This is especially true after switching to the Vulkan renderer. The performance experienced during that brief period after the release of Vulkan, but before the release of Harvest, is the best performance I have seen in this game in years.

Unfortunately, after the release of Harvest, my performance plummeted. It went back to the same old issues of framerate spiking to zero repeatedly. I have tried researching how to solve this problem a lot. I have also spent hours trying all kinds of solutions. Here is a video of a map clear riddled with these spikes. Below are the troubleshooting steps I have tried so far:

-Updates for all drivers, BIOS, and the OS.
-Rolling back my video card drivers and the OS to older versions.
-Basically every combination of video settings available within PoE (including trying DX11 again, which is even worse).
-Hours of testing of different combinations of settings within my video card control panel application.
-Cleaning my system out and ensuring ambient temp, CPU temp, and GPU temp are all within reason.
-Weird random fixes suggested on forums/Reddit like disabling sound, limiting max CPU usage of PoE to 95-98%, uninstalling unused sound devices, and a few other things.
-Clearing my shader cache.
and probably other things I can't recall in this moment...

Here are the important system specs:

Intel i6600k CPU @ 4.2GHz (I have tested default clock speed with many configs)
ASUS Z170E motherboard
Corsair 16GB 1066MHz DDR4 memory
AMD RX 5700 8GB video card
Crucial 768GB SSD

Here is a WinMTR output:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| dsldevice.attlocal.net - 0 | 200 | 200 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 1 |
|104-53-92-1.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net - 0 | 200 | 200 | 1 | 4 | 25 | 5 |
| 71.147.199.178 - 0 | 200 | 200 | 0 | 1 | 6 | 1 |
| 75.29.64.195 - 0 | 200 | 200 | 2 | 2 | 9 | 2 |
| 12.83.77.193 - 0 | 200 | 200 | 1 | 3 | 8 | 3 |
| 12.122.114.5 - 0 | 200 | 200 | 5 | 6 | 9 | 7 |
| 192.205.32.210 - 73 | 51 | 14 | 0 | 6 | 7 | 6 |
| ae-1-3505.edge9.SanJose1.Level3.net - 0 | 200 | 200 | 7 | 10 | 39 | 8 |
| SERVERS.COM.edge9.SanJose1.Level3.net - 0 | 200 | 200 | 7 | 8 | 47 | 7 |
| se-sjc1-l26-r1.servers.com - 0 | 200 | 200 | 7 | 8 | 44 | 7 |
| 173.237.51.108 - 0 | 200 | 200 | 6 | 6 | 8 | 7 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

As you can see, this also looks normal. There is one hop that has high packet loss, but considering all others hops have none, average ping times are 10ms or less, and in game my ping doesn't fluctuate outside of times when loading assets ruins my performance, my guess is that the server is just deprioritizing packets sent using the ICMP protocol. There is no way the game would even be playable with packet loss like that.

No other game I play lags in any way shape or form. I don't know what to do at this point. It's extremely frustrating, and I'm not the only one experiencing performance like this. Again, the change that triggered this precipitous drop in performance was on the developer's end, not mine. That suggests it was a change they made. I would really like to hear some kind of acknowledgement of the problem, at the very least, so I have hope that I can play my favorite game again without it feeling like garbage. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Last bumped on Aug 18, 2020, 7:58:25 AM
I have the exact same problems since Harvest and I am also on an i5-6600K. Perhaps it's linked to that particular CPU-generatrion for some reason?

The performance problems were a lot less after some of their patches, but then came back with a vengeance, game is borderline unplayable again at this point for me.

Considering this problem never gets acknowledged or commented on by GGG, I highly doubt there is any chance of fixing it any time soon (or ever for that matter), I tried all the "fixes", even the snake oil and placebo ones, nothing helps.

It's really frustrating considering the pretty much PERFECT performance after Vulkan was introduced during Delirium.
"
XenoPOE wrote:
I have the exact same problems since Harvest and I am also on an i5-6600K. Perhaps it's linked to that particular CPU-generatrion for some reason?

The performance problems were a lot less after some of their patches, but then came back with a vengeance, game is borderline unplayable again at this point for me.

Considering this problem never gets acknowledged or commented on by GGG, I highly doubt there is any chance of fixing it any time soon (or ever for that matter), I tried all the "fixes", even the snake oil and placebo ones, nothing helps.

It's really frustrating considering the pretty much PERFECT performance after Vulkan was introduced during Delirium.

That's very possible. Funny enough, I have had a similar response to the various patches: it was really bad early on, got quite a bit better (but not completely resolved), and now it is maybe the worst it has been.

Also, same deal with me where I was blown away that the game ran normally after the Vulkan beta initially dropped. That would be incredibly obnoxious if it was something related specifically to our processor model.
"
XenoPOE wrote:

I beg to differ on that part of different cpu generations. My spikes has always been certain mods and spawning monsters on the player. THough you did say perhaps. So i provided my statement and testify it is not that hardware.

If i remove those mods by running vanilla maps. Literally no mods. the spikes dissappeared.

I5 processor here with 630M nvidia.
Laptop is about 20 years old.

On the context of giving GGG the BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. One might point out that the number of players in the server at any given point in time would cause the lag. Im hoping there are less erikeiken/jousis/meme players. Taking that factor out for one moment and just having a server overload.

This is especially true when i play poe when there are only about 20, 000 (twenty thousand players). Literally i can play rare maps(without syndicate).
smooth as butter. Like playing at 1 pm singapore time 29 july 2020.

So with this information, i doubt such statement. But there seem to be other users who have higher computer specs are having the same trouble. it is weird.

This is just hectic sherlock holmes deduction and poor level judgement at that. How are the players supposed to fix stuff when not all the information are available and even worse, should such information available, the players are expected to be university educated with PHD to analyse what went wrong.(this would be in the range of ridiculous and absurd).

GAMER are GAMERS. Not techs.

I recall what zizaran or raizqt says. Cant remember who. Its like the requirement to play poe is a university degree. I guess one of them isnt far off the book.

"
stormfall2 wrote:
"
XenoPOE wrote:

I beg to differ on that part of different cpu generations. My spikes has always been certain mods and spawning monsters on the player. THough you did say perhaps. So i provided my statement and testify it is not that hardware.

If i remove those mods by running vanilla maps. Literally no mods. the spikes dissappeared.

I5 processor here with 630M nvidia.
Laptop is about 20 years old.

On the context of giving GGG the BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. One might point out that the number of players in the server at any given point in time would cause the lag. Im hoping there are less erikeiken/jousis/meme players. Taking that factor out for one moment and just having a server overload.

This is especially true when i play poe when there are only about 20, 000 (twenty thousand players). Literally i can play rare maps(without syndicate).
smooth as butter. Like playing at 1 pm singapore time 29 july 2020.

So with this information, i doubt such statement. But there seem to be other users who have higher computer specs are having the same trouble. it is weird.

This is just hectic sherlock holmes deduction and poor level judgement at that. How are the players supposed to fix stuff when not all the information are available and even worse, should such information available, the players are expected to be university educated with PHD to analyse what went wrong.(this would be in the range of ridiculous and absurd).

GAMER are GAMERS. Not techs.

I recall what zizaran or raizqt says. Cant remember who. Its like the requirement to play poe is a university degree. I guess one of them isnt far off the book.

I certainly don't think that's the reason with any degree of certainty, but just some possible idea that was thrown out in the absence of anything else. It may not have anything to do with the CPU at all.

I also notice certain encounters cause the issue to a greater degree, just as you said. For example, basically any map with conquerer mobs spawning on it seem to have issues. It also seems to center around asset loading. That is, after the initial framerate spikes upon certain monster or entity spawns, they seem to go away and stay gone for the remainder of the encounter, for the most part.

I really don't think it has anything to do with the number of players on the server, or connectivity in general. Switching to predictive mode makes no difference, and neither does switching servers, which are also things I have tested many times. Also, some users don't have this issue at all. If it was a server wide issue, then it would be more consistent among the playerbase. I have these issues 100% of the time that I play (and I play at a wide variety of times), though the amount varies based on what you described earlier: the content of that map.
After last night's patch the performance is better again. Still not Delirium-perfect but way better. Despite the patch not mentioning anything about it. It's so strange ...
"
XenoPOE wrote:
After last night's patch the performance is better again. Still not Delirium-perfect but way better. Despite the patch not mentioning anything about it. It's so strange ...

Yup, same for me. The stuttering is reduced, but still present in some situations. I would call it playable but annoying. It was bordering on unplayable for a bit.
Performance has gone into the toilet again. Every patch I am left wondering whether or not the game will be playable. Whatever is happening badly needs addresssed.
Just another update after this latest patch focused on Bloom. Textures take an extremely long time to load at the beginning now. There was a minor delay previously, but this is multiple times the previous loading time length. Stuttering/zero framerate spike are more frequent and longer lasting.
Just tried a 100% Delirium quadra white stones / sextants / pro , i mean the end game right ? unplayable fps drops to 0 for like 20-30 seconds (until you die) every new packs of Mobs !

i mean the game would be way too easy with 60 fps imo.

I'll come back on the game when i'll be able to craft an harvest made PC Irl maybe with RTX 3090 £ 10th gen proc it'll be playable or not ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info