Does everyone prefer faster game speed?

Been playing some Last Epoch lately. I like the pace in that.
"
kekkuli123 wrote:
I prefer slow to moderate speeds, something like in Grim Dawn.

+1
May your maps be bountiful, exile
"
Ceri wrote:
No, I hate it, and have pretty much given up on the game thanks to it.

The game has become progressively faster for every expansion, it feels. At the point where we're at now, it feels more and more like an auto-clicker game. Right-click and the whole screen dies. I've no idea what mobs I'm even facing, they move so quickly and die so quickly it's hard to tell. There is no challenge, no adventure, no RPG. You either kill something instantly or it instantly kills you.

That's where we're at, eight years after beta started. The game in 2020 has almost nothing in common with the game I started playing in 2012.

Yep. I haven't even played this league. Not because of Harvest. Because the game has become dash/warp kill everything with one or maybe two clicks. Loot everywhere. Rinse repeat.

They need to make players take damage more often but not as spiky. Then they need to decrease regen and leech so it takes a little time to heal up.

The bizarre thing is that the announcement and trailers of POE 2.0 show slow gameplay where the characters actually use different skills tactically in the battles. However, I think this is just due to the toons being at a lower level. However, since they use this footage to try and sell the game obviously GGG knows this slower pace of gameplay sells better than a flash, a bang, and loot everywhere. Make the monsters/mobs relevant again.

GGG has a decent chance to rework this game in 2.0 to make the fighting worthy of the skill tree and gear/skill complexity. However, it will take a huge amount of re-balancing existing monster fights to make it work with the old content.

With the number of skills we will be able to equip in our 2.0 characters, it would be a shame for the game to continue with the 1 click screen clearing mess the game has become.
"
Vulmio wrote:
I think people should have the possibility to play fast like they can right now, but it shouldn't be forced to the players who don't like it like with Delirium for example.

Delerium is an option, NOBODY is forcing you to run it if you don't like it.
But if you do run it, you have zero reason to complain about the timer if you're not playing a build that can do Delerium decent enough.
And FYI you don't need a super speedy build to do Delerium or Incursion encounters.

Personally, after playing slower playstyle builds from Harbinger thru to Blight, I've since started playing faster builds and it's a lot more fun for me. But obviously people want options, and we have them.
We have the option to not do Delerium or Incursions.
Fast speed is ok for me. I just want less combat graphic Effects so I can actually see what’s going on .
If I want a slower combat arpg I play monster hunter, the game is made for that and it's great.

PoE becomes insanely more fun the faster you go.
Expectations:

"I shall forge my own weapons and slay my foes, no man alive or dead shall stand in my way, as I battle my way through Wraeclast to..."

Reality:

"HaHaa game go brrrrr"
*pinball machine sounds intensify*
DingDing DingDing DingDong PlingPlong SplurgAutism Hahaha more spam please
more more more faster faster!!

I'm curious, how do the GGG artists feel like?
All the hundreds of hours you sacrificed to make models and animations and buff out all the details... for what? "Don't care, I got paid"?
You don't mind that nobody can see anything?
We barely see life bars pop away and melt.
There's nothing to see. Monster names, models, animations, nothing matters.

Poe has literally turned into a space shooter arcade game.
You might as well play it with a retro joystick smashing one button while shooting multi missile homing nukes that blow up entire screens in chain reactions.

"Players can now smack around players who are having trouble very early on."
-Bex
Last edited by Elemenz on Aug 15, 2020, 10:07:49 AM
"
Elemenz wrote:
Expectations:

"I shall forge my own weapons and slay my foes, no man alive or dead shall stand in my way, as I battle my way through Wraeclast to..."

Reality:

"HaHaa game go brrrrr"
*pinball machine sounds intensify*
DingDing DingDing DingDong PlingPlong SplurgAutism Hahaha more spam please
more more more faster faster!!

All the hundreds of hours you sacrificed to make models and animations and buff out all the details... for what? "Don't care, I got paid"?
You don't mind that nobody can see anything?
We barely see life bars pop away and melt.
There's nothing to see. Monster names, models, animations, nothing matters.

Poe has literally turned into a space shooter arcade game.
You might as well play it with a retro joystick smashing one button while shooting multi missile homing nukes that blow up entire screens in chain reactions.

THIS

game have ZERO ARPG FEEL
u just one shot SCREEN zoom zoom with every build u dont even see monsters BLOOD n GORE
game looks like we hunting in 2150 years
not old gothic ages or medievil

so much colors so much MTX killing game looks " PPL was angry for diablo 3 cartony and childish ponies etc " but this game have no diffrents

i want OLD POE back blood n gore and where no SUX MTX was on
"
Elemenz wrote:

Employed. More than a lot of artists nowadays, or really at any point in time.

Anyone who thinks anything to do with PoE doesn't come down to money now over things like artistic expression or retaining the game's original vision as 'a hardcore, gritty ARPG' is fucking kidding themselves.

__

As to the OP: a well-balanced ARPG caters to different play styles including quick 'n' dirty and slow 'n' steady, but since the studio lost the core dev who famously said and believed that 'balance is a moving target', I suspect it's not that much of a priority at TencentGGG these days. Hate to say it, but it really is a case of 'like it or leave it' now.

If Last Epoch can get the rogue archetype right and achieve stable multiplayer, it may well become a viable 'leave it' option for those who seek one, many may they be as POE continues to skid further and further off-course (depending on your idea of 'course', of course).

And yes, I said the same about poor old Wolcen, as certain local dingleberries have been quick to point out, but let's not pretend that my enthusiastic approval alone is power enough to sink a game in development. Were that the case, PoE wouldn't have made it out of beta.

...Wait, did it?
I am W James Chan, author of Blackcloak: A Man of His Sword, the novel from which the PoE unique Oni-Goroshi is derived. So if you liked that, give the book a go on Amazon. I think it's pretty good -- but like Her, it isn't to be come at lightly, and it definitely isn't what it first seems to be.
I prefer a slower game speed. In particular, I find the game is more fun/interesting at the lower levels than at the higher levels. High levels get hard to see, most of which doesnt matter anyways because theyre too weak, so they only serve as clutter.

High speed has too much random death: you die from full hp before you can react because the move isn't that visible/wasn't telegraphed from something.

and I haven't even reached the very late game silliness.
Last edited by zlefin_actual on Aug 15, 2020, 4:32:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info