[3.12] One shot Tectonic Slam Chieftain. Up to 127M DPS.Great Survivability. Melting all content.

Hey guys, Jenno here, I created a 2H tectonic slam build that I think is very powerful and enjoyable. So I thought I'd share with you guys here.

So Here's what it looks like:

Heist Update
Spoiler

I updated budget gears, mid-budget crit gears, and end-game build for Heist league.

The trees and skills are a bit different in each budget level, please check out the gear section and POB for details.

Build Highlights
Spoiler
140-254M damage per slam
120+% movement speed
6 auras, 2 curses
100% hit/crit/ignite/shock chance
90% phys reduction
40% block

Pros
Spoiler
High Damage :70M-127M DPS and damage scalable with currency
Tanky :7 endurance charge, high chaos res, 90% phys reduction, 40% block, fortify, 15% dodge
Insane Clear Speed :clear the screen with one hit
Safe :long range damage makes it safer than other melee builds, you don't need to be near the boss to kill it, check out the simulacrum wave 20 video for illustration
Enjoyable Play Style :slam skill has very satisfying visual and sound effect

Cons
Spoiler
Can't do Elem Reflect
Not a Lazy Build

Build Mechanics
Spoiler

Short Version
Spoiler
Tectonic slam + 7 endurance charges + siesmic cry + intimidating cry + all flasks + totem buff + 6 auras + Tawhoa's chosen + fist of war = BOOM

Long Version
Spoiler

It's pretty clear that recent changes in slam and wacry skills are leaning towards a "Hit once and Hit Hard" philosophy. For that, I found Chieftain has many good ascendancy points that can buff this effect, and stacking all buffs together and exert them at once can deal insane amount of damage. Here are several key mechanics that I leverage for the damage:

Valako ascendancy point: gives easy endurance charge and keep you at max charge all the time.
Fist of war: The most OP slam gem designed for this play style, Huge DPS and AOE boost
Seismic cry: with measured fury, you can have up to 5 seismic cry exerted attacks, each is 30% more powerful than the last.
Intimidating cry: deals double damage with 3 exerted attacks and inflict intimidating buff. This can be used on boss. you don't need it for normal clearing because you have tons of DPS already.
Ngamahu ascendancy point: again 100% more physical as fire, since we are 100% fire, then it boosts our damage further.
Tawhoa's chosen ascendancy point: This is a extremely underrated ascendancy, from what i saw in poe.ninja, almost no tectonic slam build is leveraging this. It summons a mirage warrior and deal 50% more damage on your slam skill. Although mirage warrior will not benefit from the fist of war support, it can still provide tons of DPS boost. For example, if your slam damage (with fist of war) is 158M, then Tawhoa's chosen can give you additional 96M damage, making it 254M in total. Every time you slam enemy, both fist of war and your mirage warrior will deal damage together (See figure below).

Play Style
Spoiler

This build is a "hit hard and hit once" play style. With Towhoa's chosen cool down being 2s and Fist of War's cooldown being 1.76s, we will perform one slam attack once every 2s with all the buffs. Every 2s is a repeating cycle. Here's a breakdown of what you do in the 2 seconds:

[-]Use 0.5 s to perform the attack and immediately dash away from enemy
[-]Use 1.5s to move, dodge attack, pop up flask (if needed), refresh war cry(if needed), use enduring cry to recover (if needed)

Check out the videos for illustration.

Gears
Spoiler

Budget non-crit version - 2ex investment, 18.1M max damage/hit so far with lvl87
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

I went for Disintegrator because because it has good damage as well as great defense.

For the damage, the high phys damage plus Siphoning charge can scale our tectonic slam damage really well.

As for defense, the 25% block chance makes our character a lot more tanky than using other weapons. Since our phys reduction is constantly capped at 90% during combat, so the 150 phys damage taken is nothing.

Overall, this staff is the most cost-efficient option for budget weapon.

Armour
Spoiler

Just find any 6l armor with good amount of life, some decent elem res.

Amulet
Spoiler

I mainly use amulet to get the required int and dex. On top of that, life, flat phys, decent elem would be good too. I anointed Thrill Seeker to avoid having mana problems.

Rings
Spoiler

One flammability curse ring can greatly buff our dps and make enemies more visible in maps too :). Get some life and elem res on it would be good too.

For the other ring, I chose Circle of Guilt, it is very cheap and can give us tons of dps and offer great phys reduction too.

Gloves
Spoiler

For budget version, a spiked gloves with good life and res on it is all we need. You can craft some attack speed if you want.

Helmet
Spoiler

Hrimnor's Resolve is dirt cheap but has many great stats that fit perfectly with our build. The life, fire damage and cold res are all good. Most importantly, it gives you chill and freeze immunity, because our build is fire skill.

Boots
Spoiler

At least 30% movement speed, with good life, res. Nothing fancy here for budget build.

Belt
Spoiler

Find a belt with good life and res. Nothing fancy here either.

Jewels
Spoiler

In this budget build, I'm suggesting to skip the jewels because the budget build is only a temporary setup to farm more currency. We are better off spending that currency later when we convert to crit version.

Flasks
Spoiler

Quicksilver and Basalt flask with bleed and curse immunity are necessary, it makes map running very smooth.

Lion Roar, Cinder Swallow and Wise Oak all offer good balance between offense and defense.

The "Damage taken is leeched as life" Cinder Swallow mod is very OP for the build and very cheap comparing with other Cinder Swallow mods.

Mid-budget Crit version - 13ex investment, 55.3M max damage/hit
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

Find staff with at least t3 %phys, t3 flat phys on it and open prefix. Then craft the hits can't be evaded on it. If you can't find one with open prefix, you can buy one and use anull orb on it.

As for the base, I recommend Ezomyte Staff, Maelström Staff, Judgement Staff and Eventuality Rod.

Armour
Spoiler

We need an explode chest with +1 curse. This is actually the most expensive item in the gear so far, costs around 9-10ex to craft. But it's definitely worth it because it can improve your clearing speed A TON and make heist much more enjoyable. The explosion can help with defense too because it leaves no corpse for on-death effect.

Amulet
Spoiler

find a warlord amulet with "anger reduce mana reservation" on it, then look for mods like life, %crit multi, flat phys, % elem damage with attack, elem res. We are not running anger yet but it's nice to prepare for it :)

We need to anoint Measured Fury on amulet.

Rings
Spoiler

One flammability and one assassin's mark, craft life and res as needed.

Gloves
Spoiler

I didn't update my gloves for mid-budget, but if you want, you can get one warlord gloves with culling strike on it. then craft the attack speed.

Helmet
Spoiler

Just find any strength based helmet that has tectonic slam enchant on it, on top of that, good life and res is what we want.

As for alternative options, I tried Abyss and it's true that it can greatly buff our damage but it just feels squishy. I think this build needs a good balance of offense and defense, so going with regular helmet is the best choice.

If you want further update on helmet, you can fossil craft that -9% fire res mod.

Boots
Spoiler

I used the same boots as budget version, but I'm thinking about tailwind or elusive+tailwind.

Belts
Spoiler

Use a stygian vise, with good life on it. other good mods are %elem attack and elem res. Find a corrupt blood abyssal jewel and use it on the belt.

Jewels
Spoiler

We have about 3 potential places for jewels, I suggest leave those places out for now. But when you have enlighten 4 and start running anger, you can get a watcher's eye with good mod on it. I have explained wathcer's eye mods in other gear section.

Flasks
Spoiler

I switched the wise oak for diamond flask because it can ensure our crit chance to be close 100% when we don't have full power charge.

End-game Crit Version - 80ex investment, 211.2M max damage/hit
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

I went to trade and found existing good weapon with 3 prefixes, then use orb of annulment to remove the prefix that I don't want. (it's a risky move, and I bricked ~2 good staffs).

Then I craft "prefix can't be changed" then scour the item, which removes all suffixes.

If you have extra currency, you can also use exalted orb and "prefix can't be changed" + scour to get the t1 crit multi.

At last, applying multicrafting for crit chance and 100% hit chance.

Armour
Spoiler

I used the mid-budget armour and applied multi-crafting on it. Sine the explodey mod and +1 mod are all prefixes, you can craft the "prefix can't be changed" then scour the item to remove all suffixes.

At last, apply multi-crafting of life and resistance of your choice.

Amulet
Spoiler

The amulet is the same as what we used in mid-budget build.

I divined 25% mana reservation then use life/mana catalyst to make it 30%.

Rings
Spoiler

For the flammability ring, don't worry if you can't find the exact same mod. There are many good mods you can look for. Other than the flammability, the other stats I looked for are: life, crit multi, # phys damage, %melee damage, % elemental damage with attacks, % fire damage, attack speed, any resistances, and dexterity/intelligence.

For the assassin's mark ring, I used awakener's orb to craft double influence for assassin's mark and t1 crit multi mod. We can't control the rest of the mods, if you are lucky, you get some good mods I listed earlier.

We will craft -9 mana cost on both rings, so make sure there's at least one available prefix (or you can use orb of annulment)

Gloves
Spoiler

I crafted double influence gloves for culling strike and elder attack/cast speed. You can craft life if you have open prefix or craft resistance for open suffix.

For enchant, commandment of spite is absolutely the best glove enchants. It chills enemies when you are hit and leaves chill grounds and its damage is scalable with our base damage and it has 100% crit chance too. Therefore, it can be considered as both offensive and defensive mechanism in mapping and boss encounters.

Helmet
Spoiler

Find a level 85+ helmet with tectonic slam enchant on it. Then use scorched fossil to craft the -9% fire res mod, it only takes around 20 tries to hit the mod. After that you can craft life on it.

You can also use other fossils or use many scorched fossils for a better life and res mod.

Boots
Spoiler

Our ideal boots is tailwind + elusive boots with 2 prefix and 1 suffix for multicraft.

You can either buy existing tailwind + elusive boots or use awakener's orb to craft yourself. You might need to use annulment orb to get 2 empty prefix and 1 empty suffix. Finally, craft life and movement speed on it.

For enchant, the 16% attack and cast speed is the best. Even though our damage is calculated by damage/hit, attack speed is still important because it gives us more room to dodge attacks and refresh warcries.

Belt
Spoiler

The belt should be your last upgrade before the weapon because we need it to fix our resistances. Other than resistances, other good mods are life and %elem damage wit attacks.

If you have some more currency to spend , you can grab one with t1 life and t1 elemen damage, open prefix, then use hunter's exalt on it hoping for a 10% life mod.

Jewels
Spoiler

In end game, our build can benefit significantly from jewels, so we want to leverage as many jewels as possible.

I listed useful watcher's eye mod in mirror-tier gear section, we apply the same rule in here.

I used a large cluster jewel setup only because it gives me good access to jewel slots. For the cluster skill, I chose Sadist and Prismatic heart.

Sadist can give us 60% elemental damage, since we have 100% crit chance, our hit always ignites, chills and shocks. We get fire and lightning damage from tree, in addition to that, make sure you have some source of cold damage(I used abyss jewel for that) so you can apply chill effect.

Prismatic heart can give you additional elemental damage and resistance, which is always nice since we can't get much resistance from our gears.

Remember to use the cluster jewel with at most 8 passive skills, and make sure to simulate the tree in POB before buying it. Sometimes the skill may not show up in the position you thought.

Now we have 4 spots for normal jewels, we need 7% life and at least 2 crit multi mod on it. you can go to poedb to search for all crit multi mod that can apply to us. On top of that, having resistance or dex/int is good too.

Flasks
Spoiler

Comparing with mid-budget flasks, I switched diamond flask for bottled faith. The bottled faith can increase our damage and defense significantly so is definitely worth the investment.

Mirror-tier Crit version - From Harvest league, for reference only
Spoiler

Weapon
Spoiler

I went for warstaff because it offers a good balance between damage and defense (block chance). you need to multimod the weapon and craft 100% hit chance with it.

Armour
Spoiler

Astral plate with explosion and crit chance and additional curse is required.

Amulet
Spoiler

must have anger reduced mana reservation (we need that for our watcher eye), nice to have 5% flat phys reduction because it can help us cap phys reduction.

Rings
Spoiler

since we are running double curse, we need one shaper ring with assassin's mark and one warlord with flammability. craft the ring with -9 mana cost is needed for mana sustain.

Gloves
Spoiler

A spkike glove with culling strike is recommended.

Helmet
Spoiler

you can grab any helmet with tetonic enchant on it, then craft the -9 fire res.

Boots
Spoiler

A tailwind boots with elusive is what we need, it gives good movement speed in maps

Belt
Spoiler

Get one Stygian Vise with life and res on it.

Jewels
Spoiler

For abyssal jewel, you need the corrupted blood immunity, which can save you one flask spot for more dps.

For normal jewels, we want life and critical multiplier to scale our dps,we can also get elemental resistance on it.

For watcher's eye, we can find any good one with anger and precision mods. Here are the mods I looked for:

Awesome mods(need 2 of them):
-Gain #% of Physical Damage as Extra Fire Damage while affected by Anger
-#% to Critical Strike Multiplier while affected by Anger
-Damage Penetrates #% Fire Resistance while affected by Anger
-#% to Critical Strike Multiplier while affected by Precision

OK mods (get 1 if you want, but not necessary):
-#% increased Fire Damage while affected by Anger
-#% increased Attack Speed while affected by Precision
-#% increased Attack Damage while affected by Precision
-Gain a Flask Charge when you deal a Critical Strike while affected by Precision

Flasks

Spoiler

silver flask and basalt flask as utility for movement and phys reduction (with freeze and curse immunity on them)

must have lion's roar, it gives lots of flat armor and damage

must have bottled faith, it gives lots of dps and life regen, also keeps your golem alive during mapping.

must have cinderswallow, it synergize well with the build because you always ignite enemies. The leech gives you good life regen for map clearing too. I recommend the craft: damage taken leech as life because it indirectly gives you great survivability against strong mobs like full delirum map.

Skills
Spoiler

This skill section only display end-game skills. Please refer to gear section and POB for information about alternate quality gems.

Main skill setup:
Spoiler

Tectonic Slam - Awakened melee physical damage - Awakened elem damage with attack - Fist of War - Pulverise - Fortify

Pulverise can give us a lot of damage boost on single slam attack. Fortify gives a good offence/defence balance

Aura setup:
Spoiler
Enlighten - Anger - Precision(1) - Blood and sand - Herald of ash - Herald of Purity

We need anger and precision for good watcher's eye mod. You can always use the blood stance because you have enough AOE already

Second Wind setup:
Spoiler

second wind - flame dash - intimidating cry - enduring cry

Flame dash is the best movement skill in mapping and boss fights. Intimidating cry and enduring cry can benefit a lot from second wind and give you good dps and good life regen

Totem and Golem:
Spoiler

combustion support - vaal ancestral warchief - summon flame golem seismic cry

Totem and flame golem can distract enemies and give you good dps, linking them with combustion can decrease the enemy fire res too. Bottled faith's huge life regen area can keep golem alive during mapping.

CWDT setup:

Spoiler

CWDT(12) - Immortal Call (14) - Wave of Conviction(15) - blood rage (5)

When you can gain endurance charge easily, Immortal Call can make you impossible to get one-shotted. I experimented many levels of CWDT and found that level 12 CWDT is the most comfortable level for all contents. Wave of conviction can lower enemie's fire res and blood rage can increase attack speed. since you have 90% phys reduction and 1500+ life regen, the additional phys damage taken is like nothing.

Pantheon, Ascendancy, Bandits

Spoiler

For Parthenon, I chose Arakaali and Shakari. Both nodes give good DoT reduction, make the build tanky against chaos damage

Ascendancy nodes: Ngamahu -> Valako -> Tawha's chosen -> Hinekora

As for bandits, kill them all.

Leveling
Spoiler

Leveling with this build is quite easy, you just equip the skill gem that I listed whenever you reach the level.

For main skill, I used ground slam till I can start using tectonic slam.

For aura, you can use herald of purity, herald of ash and blood and sand during leveling. you can leave the anger to end game after you have the amulet.

If you have mana sustain problem during leveling, I suggest to get a -mana cost ring (like praxis) and anoint mana leech nodes like Thrill Seeker or Spirit Void. If you have mana problem during boss, you can also get a vaal clarity and only use them in boss fight.

For leveling gears, it's the same as any other build. You know, the usual suspects like tabula rasa, wanderlust and so on. Buy any unique 2H weapon during leveling.

Tree Progression
Spoiler

We are leveling with the non-crit budget version. You can easily re-spec your tree after you reach a good level. Make sure you have the POB ready.

1. go left, grab Unwavering Stance for stun immunity and Resolute Technique for 100% hit chance.

2. From Resolute Technique, go down, follow the tree branches as you go, grab all the nodes

3. From Resolute Technique, go up, follow the tree branches as you go. Remember to allocate staff-related nodes after you get Disintegrator staff.

POB
Spoiler

please use community fork, please note that Towha's chosen is not calculated in current POB, but its damage is logged in the note section.

Budget Non-crit version - 18.1M max damage/hit with 2ex budget
Spoiler

This POB link doesn't store alternate quality skill gems, please check the gear section for them.

https://pastebin.com/tNE3QyPd

Mid-budget Crit version - 55.3M max damage/hit with 13ex budget
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/adW02Lh9

End-game Crit version - 211.2M max damage/hit with 80ex budget
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/i1pVTc2a

Mirror-tier Crit version(from Harvest) - 256M max damage/hit, for reference only
Spoiler

https://pastebin.com/ZprASaNU

Videos
Spoiler

Simulacrum Wave 20

T15 Burial Chamber Full Delirium Clear

A8 Awakener Sirus

Q&A
Spoiler

How to sustain mana?
Spoiler

During leveling using mana flask should be fine. Also, no need to run precision and anger until end-game.

in early mapping you can anoint the Thrill seeker that can solve mana problem

in high-tier mapping, Usually you will have around ~200 available mana, there's no need for mana anointment. The cinderswallow's recover #% of mana when killing enemny is good enough. On top of that, you can also use the divergent elemental attack gem which gives you mana leech too.

For end-game, when we run enlighten4 + anger + precision, it requires the -9 mana cost craft on both rings. Then the only skill that costs mana is our slam (costs 24). Our mana regen is around 15/s, since we slam once per 2 seconds, we have more than enough mana sustain in end-game. On top of that, we still have the cinderswallow mana leech : )

How to get a end-game weapon?
Spoiler

if you are playing SSF or on other consoles:
you can find a good base and use alteration to get a good %increased phys(i suggest at least t2). then you can regal it, make sure there is only one prefix. then use multi-mod craft flat phys and 100% hit chance on it.

if you are playing in a trade league, I recommend you go to trade, find a staff with a good base plus good %phys, flat phys and open prefix on it. Then you only need to craft the 100% hit chance.

How to be tanky?
Spoiler

First off, let me just say majority of our survivability comes from our ascendancy/skills instead of from gears. The purpose of gear is mainly to scale more damage.

In other words, the 2ex budget build setup has roughly the same tankiness as the mirror-tier setup you saw in full-delirium video. However, you have to play the build in the right way to gain the survivability. Here's how:

1. Keep your endurance charge full ALL TIME.
This is quite easy to do, just use warcry as normal (use seismic cry once per 5 attacks in mapping, use intimidating cry before bosses, use enduring cry whenever your immortal call is triggered or life below 50%).
Sometimes people forget to use war cry, as a result, you have less damage, you have poor phys reduction, most importantly, you are easily one-shotted because immortal call don't have charges to consume.

2. Keep all your flasks on whenever you encounter mobs/bosses.
This goes without saying, but sometimes it's easily ignored. Our flasks gives us ton of defense mods, without them our build won't be as tanky as it should.

As illustration, in the full-delirium video, I only made sure the 2 things above are met anytime, as you can see, we are never in a danger throughout the map.

why do we use max damage/hit to measure damage?
Spoiler

As mentioned in play style section, we slam once per 2 seconds, the slam attack we performs is super powerful because it is boosted with all buffs.

How POB calculates DPS isn't really suitable for us because it assumes that we are standing still and spamming tectonic slams, which is not true. Moreover, in POB the warcry is averaged over its cool down time by default, which does not apply to us either.

Our play style becomes an advantage in leveraging exerted attack mechanism, because we are not limited by any warcry cool downs due to low attack frequency. Therefore, a more accurate damage measure is max damage/hit, it assumes the exerted attack has all buffs are available, which is exactly what we are doing.

If you need max DPS, then you can divide the max damage per hit by 2 (assuming you hit once per 2 seconds).

Change Log
Spoiler

08/20/20: Added Leveling and Tree progression section
08/23/20: Added Watcher's Eye mods recommendation
10/03/20: Made change on Tree progression
10/11/20: Added Heist budget build
10/12/20: Added alternate quality gems on budget build
10/19/20: Updated mid-budget crit gears and POB
10/25/20: Made an update on mid-budget crit gears and its POB for a better transition to end-game
10/30/20: Update Q&A for weapon and mana
11/04/20: Update end-game crit gears and POB
11/05/20: Update tree progression
11/08/20: Updated end-game minmaxed gears and its POB
11/09/20: Updated Q&A for survivability
11/10/20: Update Q&A for damage measure

Last edited by JennoJoyce on Nov 16, 2020, 11:12:30 AM
Last bumped on Nov 26, 2020, 7:13:05 AM
Build updated for end-game heist league, feel free to check them out!
Last edited by JennoJoyce on Nov 4, 2020, 11:38:54 PM
Build guide finished, welcome any questions!
Last edited by JennoJoyce on Aug 20, 2020, 10:48:24 AM
Boots + Belt are not in the Gear section atm
Thanks! Just added them.
Thank you for your hard work on this build, good Sir!
By now I'm experimenting with some variations of it for leveling till red maps, to get cheap SSF league-starter with two Oni-Goroshi blades.
Feel free to check it https://pastebin.com/980kLiBr
I am not that good at POB management, but I hope to see your point of view on budjet variation of your build for SSF.

I wanna try this build but I need some help in crafting all this stuff. I'm pretty bad at crafting :|

I got the chest and boots for now cuz those are pretty easy to craft.
"
ezarurazvan wrote:
I wanna try this build but I need some help in crafting all this stuff. I'm pretty bad at crafting :|

I got the chest and boots for now cuz those are pretty easy to craft.

What specific item do you need help with? I can provide some guidance on the crafting. Since harvest crafting won't be in core, I will just respond in comments.
Last edited by JennoJoyce on Aug 16, 2020, 12:39:10 AM
"
masrood wrote:
By now I'm experimenting with some variations of it for leveling till red maps, to get cheap SSF league-starter with two Oni-Goroshi blades.
I am not that good at POB management, but I hope to see your point of view on budjet variation of your build for SSF.

I took a look at your build, one small comment I have is the flask, since I noticed you have corrupted blood immunity and 87% phys reduction, then life flask with bleeding immunity is not not necessary.

I recommend using enduring call as a way to recover life, especially when your war cry is instant.
"
JennoJoyce wrote:
"
masrood wrote:

I took a look at your build, one small comment I have is the flask, since I noticed you have corrupted blood immunity and 87% phys reduction, then life flask with bleeding immunity is not not necessary.

I recommend using enduring call as a way to recover life, especially when your war cry is instant.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciate it, Sir!
Any chance to see global leveling section with tree variations, and crafting guide for beginner and mid-tier gear?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info