Did GGG ever use actual player numbers in statistics?

using bots as players then claiming the "NEWPLAYERPEAKCLICKBAIT!"

go figure.. I don't trust on any of the numbers they post.
Turning players into payers.

Imagine making excuses for a billion dollar company that will never recognize you as anything else but a future open wallet.

Chapter: XVIII.
"
dachoppa wrote:
"
yamface wrote:
"
I can guarantee you that GGG are heavily invested in data analytics and have a very good grasp on such things.

I honestly doubt that. I vaguely remember chris saying in a podcast that they're not a data driven company and that a lot of their feedback processing is by reading reddit. I'm not trolling. They probably do have basic things like number of registered users and all that but I definitely doubt they're invested enough to do any remotely complex data analysis.

edit: actually found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6147&v=OBp6yeVSiDU

Now that I listen to it again I actually can't tell if he was trolling or not... everyones laughing about it like it was supposed to be a joke

dude, that was an obvious joke because people refer to the steam player numbers for player retention when arguing whether the league is popular or not

The problem is a lot of ggg's changes to the game do come from reddit. Obviously they'll have better raw player stats than anyone else but as far as design changes go.. it kind of actually is true they are heavily influenced by reddit.

So even if everyone's laughing and chris is saying it like that... in the back of my mind that is at worst case scenario still a half-true statement.
The stats can easily exclude bots since they only look at characters level above 70. They can easily filter out if these characters run maps and on average what map tier are they running.

The above will allow GGG to further filter out noise data and provide a more accurate statistics.

So I would definitely believe in the numbers that they publish.

These numbers will give them a good gauge on player retention, skills that player loves and things that players interact with most.

I would even bet that Harvest league has 1 of the highest player retention % (probably 1+ month into the league) once the player number stabilize.

Basically, it is in their full interest to publish accurate statistic since it will directly affect their bottom line.
I've never understood why should it be important to me as a player whether 10K players play the game or 10M. As long as it doesn't have a negative impact on my gameplay, I don't really care. That negative impact in the case of PoE would be fewer items on the market but since it's a crafting league it wouldn't be a real problem as half of my gear is crafted and I've bought the other half cheaper than normal as there's less demand it seems.

Chris once said that around 10K active users generate enough MTX revenue through 12 weeks to cover the cost of a league. As long as PoE has that they can keep adding content without going bankrupt and I can keep going with my semi-self-found playstyle.
GGG has often posted exact player numbers, mostly on their most successful launches. The last few leagues have omitted those for some reason. All we have now to go by is Steam Charts, and add maybe 30% for non-steam users.

Every game's player count includes their bots. I don't know why people live under the delusion some massive percentage of the game is only bots. Sorry to say to you, but lots of people play this game, and will keep playing it as long as long as it's around
Last edited by Imaginaerum on Aug 12, 2020, 4:24:46 AM
"
I don't know why people live under the delusion some massive percentage of the game is only bots.
There were a lot of YouTube videos this league of people watching bots move around in town, so that's why bots are such a big topic this league.
"
cyberthopp wrote:
I've never understood why should it be important to me as a player whether 10K players play the game or 10M. As long as it doesn't have a negative impact on my gameplay, I don't really care. That negative impact in the case of PoE would be fewer items on the market but since it's a crafting league it wouldn't be a real problem as half of my gear is crafted and I've bought the other half cheaper than normal as there's less demand it seems.

Chris once said that around 10K active users generate enough MTX revenue through 12 weeks to cover the cost of a league. As long as PoE has that they can keep adding content without going bankrupt and I can keep going with my semi-self-found playstyle.

Well said. Of course I would prefer the game to do well in order to finance continuing expansions, but from an enjoyment point of view I don't really care how many folks are playing.
"
"
cyberthopp wrote:

Well said. Of course I would prefer the game to do well in order to finance continuing expansions, but from an enjoyment point of view I don't really care how many folks are playing.

Drop rates are balanced around trading. Less players = less currency = less crafting.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Exxxiled665 wrote:
they include bots. if they took away the bot accounts i wonder what the real numbers would be

Taking away bots from the statistics would imply that GGG have a way to identify bots. They clearly haven't, it seems.
tbh i think they could if they wanted to. they probably won't because without bots the trading part would be even worse and then they have to fix it which is what they don't want to.
Hi! i'm high right now and who are you?
"
satanttin wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Exxxiled665 wrote:
they include bots. if they took away the bot accounts i wonder what the real numbers would be

Taking away bots from the statistics would imply that GGG have a way to identify bots. They clearly haven't, it seems.
tbh i think they could if they wanted to. they probably won't because without bots the trading part would be even worse and then they have to fix it which is what they don't want to.
Harvest was a good step towards fixing trade, the next step is coming up with a new crafting system that isn't as OP and is better accepted by the community.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info