Did GGG ever use actual player numbers in statistics?

One way to get an approximate number is to look at the login queue at start up of a new league. That's not everyone, but it's a starting number for discussion.
"
Tyrion2 wrote:
Like...did they ever say how many accounts are registered?
Everytime they post sth about the players (like the harvest challenge stats) they use percantages.

Is that a PR thing? Trying to hide how few are actually playing the game?

Feels weird

No, that's actually a sensible thing to do UNLESS you're interested in the actual numbers.

If you want to see what the majority of people play, having percentages is much easier to process than having to read and interpret large numbers.

Of course, if they represented the actual numbers in a bar graph, it's not much of a difference.

But without that, I think most people will be better off with a table that says

1. Hierophant | 34%
2. Trickster | 33%

14. Ascendant | 1%

instead of

1. Elementalist | 33244
2. Slayer | 33142

14. Juggernaut | 231

Would be even worse with unordered lists (or ordered differently).
I mean, you're clearly more interested in how many people are playing PoE, but if the goal is to present how popular classes are, then representing the amount in percentages seems like the better option.
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
One way to get an approximate number is to look at the login queue at start up of a new league. That's not everyone, but it's a starting number for discussion.

Yes, or use Steam charts. That's still not accurate but at least tells you the minimum number of people playing PoE.
[quote="Michael_GGG"]However because we're reasonable people we decided against extending RNG into account bans.[/quote]
Bird lover of Wraeclast
"
I can guarantee you that GGG are heavily invested in data analytics and have a very good grasp on such things.

In regard to publishing player numbers, what would be the benefit to them in doing so? How would that improve the game or player interaction?

We already see what happens when Steam numbers are culled. Some are used for reasonable inference but many are used to wildly hypothesise and simultaneously proclaim that the game is in a really good state but also on the verge of death.

Sure, the game lends itself heavily to those that like numbers and analytics, but there's just no value to GGG in publishing this info.

this is just a comparison
but when WoW was at its peak they proudly presented the numbers of active accounts to the world.

but as soon as this number declined they made sure no one could certainly say how many were left playing this game.
Yes they did.
What does it matter?
Are people making major life altering decisions based on GGG's statistics?
/players

wait, that's been taken away from us for some years now.

also, i had a laugh at the "ggg is not a data driven company", yeah, they're not since players mentioning broken stuff results in ggg " investigating" instead of their sanitiser scripts and consistency checks informing them beforehand
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill
"
vio wrote:
/players

Pretty sure we used /online to show how many people were on at any given time, too.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/63017/page/1#p789787

(Some nostalgic names right there for bonus points)
I am W James Chan, author of Blackcloak: A Man of His Sword, the novel from which the PoE unique Oni-Goroshi is derived. So if you liked that, give the book a go on Amazon. I think it's pretty good -- but like Her, it isn't to be come at lightly, and it definitely isn't what it first seems to be.
"
"
vio wrote:
/players

Pretty sure we used /online to show how many people were on at any given time, too.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/63017/page/1#p789787

(Some nostalgic names right there for bonus points)

omg, you're right. thanks.

where am i? what do i do in this dev forsaken wasteland?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill
"
Exxxiled665 wrote:
they include bots. if they took away the bot accounts i wonder what the real numbers would be

half
EJRVBÑJKSBVÑERJVBÑJWERBVÑRWEJFVCÑIERVGLÑIJESFDBVIEWRGICVL3WEGRDVICWDSBCVIJWDBCVWIJDECVILDBWLDEJCHBVWLIDECGWLDICHYVGLWDICHLWDECHVW
DEVGERGVERGWWFVEFVWWEDQWEFCDWEFCWEFVCWEFCWEFWEFWEFWREGFRWREGFW

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info