endgame only for the best

in my opinion we need more interesting endgame bosses because by learning mechanics of boss, dodging, knowing when to attack and when to run improves your skill and gives you feeling of doing something, killing 349281759213059812058975298532 of white trash mobs on t5 map, even t16 map doesn't do anything, and also some of them should be harder to kill and master, but should be easier to grind to fight them, so in other word i don't think endgame should be reserved for 10% of players
Last edited by pipi101 on Aug 13, 2020, 6:31:13 AM
Last bumped on Aug 15, 2020, 9:25:45 AM
i would love to see more interesting endgame bosses. ggg's track record of boss additions in the last two years is quite bad though. delve bosses were good. synthesis bosses are borderline acceptable, but i don't like their design and the voiced telegraphs. kosis and omniphobia are not really endgame bosses. catarina and sirus are quite the anti examples of good design.
"
pipi101 wrote:
in my opinion we need more interesting endgame bosses because by learning mechanics of boss, dodging, knowing when to attack and when to run improves your skill and gives you feeling of doing something, killing 349281759213059812058975298532 of white trash mobs on t5 map, even t16 map doesn't do anything, and also some of them should be harder to kill and master, but should be easier to grind to fight them, so in other word i don't think endgame should be reserved for 10% of players

You have multiple 90+ characters, and your current gear also shows that you're part of that 10% you're talking about.
"
dachoppa wrote:
i would love to see more interesting endgame bosses. ggg's track record of boss additions in the last two years is quite bad though. delve bosses were good. synthesis bosses are borderline acceptable, but i don't like their design and the voiced telegraphs. kosis and omniphobia are not really endgame bosses. catarina and sirus are quite the anti examples of good design.

imo theres only one really top tier boss in terms of quality - uber elder. other are going from bad to decent, but nothing like that fight.
SSF... define your own "endgame".
To be fair, "maps" are endgame.

An endgame is supposed to offer a grind after you're done with the main story. It's supposed to be more and more challenging the further you go, with more and more people dropping off/being fulfilled. An endgame is supposed to push you. And for most people, PoE's endgame is challenging - in one way or another. For 10%, it's easy. What is best; the majority finding the endgame easy, or the majority finding it challenging?
Phrazz has changed his ways. Forget his past, embrace the present.
Delve bosses are pretty much copies of each other.

Architect: apply bleed and maim spinning beams in corner, phase, lights out, bleed nova towards end of fight

Kurgal: apply chaos and crush spin beam, phase, blow out the lights and add more chaos

Aul: ice beams, phase, turn out the lights, ice bullet hell

You could argue that cortex is just a stack of 3-4 different phases of "spinning beam" boss with a separate bullet hell part for each phase after the first.

Idk when they decided all bosses should behave in similar ways but it seems somewhere between Incursion and Delve.

--Shaper beam has only one ray at a time, making it clear and easy to dodge
--Aside from persistent 'squid poop ground', Elder also has directional attacks, making it possible to be somewhere else applying damage
--When the shaper disappears you know he will pounce on your position, so you keep moving. While he is in this mode he is not dealing damage, so you have relative freedom of movement, unlike sisus up in the chair stacking die beams and teleport punishers while he is immune.

Players seem to like bosses that a) do not have long non-interactive phases and b) have fairly predictable skillsets that do not preclude a player with lesser raw DPS from completing the fight.

Random overlapping and stacking of simultaneous boss moves leading to death by RNG is a design no-no. Especially when most of the phase is spent immune or in a very small safety zone and the boss abilities are all area-denial (dot puddles, bullet-hells, storms) rather than targeted (arguably die beams are targeted, believe it or not).

Players don't feel very good about a fight they won because of RNG allowing them to survive through overlapping AOE denial field effects. They would rather feel they had agency during the whole fight.
"How do you lure the Elder to the centre of the Atlas?"
"A box trap with some candy should do the trick"
"
pipi101 wrote:

While I do respect your opinion, you clearly don't know where you've come to.

The main selling point of PoE is that it has huge monster density and the abillity to quickly obliterate them. It is a very satisfying thing for the majority of people (although I understand if that isn't good for you) and the reason why PoE is plyed a lot. unfortunately GGG has been forgeting this and changing some other major points of the game which negatively impact this main point.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Path of exile's endgame is probably the worst in the business. Maps are just a terrible terrible system that don't scale well and neither provide a meaningful challenges nor meaningful rewards. The closest thing we have to a good endgame system is delve but since that's tied to maps it's mediocre at best. As is the game is rife with hard difficulty caps and RNG based progression that was the design philosophy of the 90s and not the better systems that have come out since then.

GGG is too afraid that their game isn't actually fun to make a better endgame system that is progression based and scales difficulty and rewards to player power.
"
j33bus wrote:
Path of exile's endgame is probably the worst in the business. Maps are just a terrible terrible system that don't scale well and neither provide a meaningful challenges nor meaningful rewards. The closest thing we have to a good endgame system is delve but since that's tied to maps it's mediocre at best. As is the game is rife with hard difficulty caps and RNG based progression that was the design philosophy of the 90s and not the better systems that have come out since then.

GGG is too afraid that their game isn't actually fun to make a better endgame system that is progression based and scales difficulty and rewards to player power.

Yet, look at all those supporter packs...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info